Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #1
advertguy2

Adhesive/Epoxy Recommendation

Hi,

I have a shower I'm finishing up and am looking for a recommendation for an adhesive or epoxy.

I've got 4 corner shelves made from caeserstone. I'm looking to mount some hooks from below the shelves (see link below for hooks). These hooks will be for shower poofs and stuff like that. Maybe some sort of brush or something, I have no idea what my daughters will come up with. Anyways, looking for recommendations that I can buy here in Canada.

I've contacted Henkel, the company that makes Lepage products and they say they don't have anything.

https://www.thehardwarehut.com/catal...php?p_ref=9686

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Dan
Unread 03-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Dan,

Put up a pic of one of the shelves. We would need to know how much surface area against the wall.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #3
speed51133

are you asking about just epoxying hooks on the shelf, or actually using epoxy to set the shelf as well?
Unread 03-09-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
eurob
Not...Sure

Dan , I would use Ardex CA 20P or Kerdi fix .
If you want to go '' by the book '' , with careful drilling on the quartz , you can mechanically attach -- using SS screws -- the hooks , which is complementary to the boding adhesive.

There was something here but is no longer available
eurob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2019, 07:24 AM   #5
advertguy2

Thanks for the replies guys.

The shelves are already in place (thinset in with the tile). I've attached a pic. They're about 12" long x 4" wide if I remember correctly.

I want to stick the hook just to the underside of the shelf, not the tile. Underside is not "finished" like the topside, but it is fairly smooth. I'm not looking to drill into the shelf, just in case. Could possibly put in some very shallow holes just to give the adhesive more surface area to bond to if it might help.

Hopefully that answers some of the questions.
Attached Images

Unread 03-13-2019, 07:45 AM   #6
advertguy2

Is Kerdi Fix the best option for this? I used it many years ago for a tub project and remember it being very messy and sticky, so I guess that might be a good thing (the sticky part). I also guess bonding kerdi fabric to a smooth tub flange would require something with a lot of "stick", so I guess it makes sense.

The Ardex product mentioned above isn't really available in my area from what I can tell (outside Toronto).

Do Kerdi Fix tubes have a "use by" date stamped on them? Or any other indicators to see if I'm getting something useable or old? The Lowes or HD's around me likely don't sell too much of it, so just want to make sure.

If there are any other product suggestions, please let me know.

THanks again.
Unread 03-13-2019, 08:05 AM   #7
Gozo

I used Latapoxy 310 to attach the glass mounting clips to the synthetic stone curbing and tile walls in the shower. Holding up great without a hint of fatigue. I’ve also used it for asst other glue jobs around the house (as it comes in a much bigger quantity that I needed for the bathroom project) and it’s my go to epoxy. When I occasionally need to “unglue” something I’ve used it on, almost always the material gives way rather than the glue bond.
Unread 03-13-2019, 08:51 AM   #8
advertguy2

Unfortunately Laticrete products aren't easy to find in my area, but I'll check online.

Thanks for the tip
Unread 03-13-2019, 12:22 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Like Jeff, I've bought Latapoxy 310 and keep it handy for things around the house. It would work for what you are wanting. But the other adhesives mentioned would probably also work.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2019, 08:11 AM   #10
otrex

I'm in Canada as well, and having done a lot of looking around, I think I can help.

Check out Sikaflex 221. It's a water-curing adhesive and sealant which is available in white, grey, or black. It creates an extremely strong bond. It is used to repair truck beds and RVs because it can handle a lot of water and grime without any trouble at all.

Because it is water-curing, it probably even benefits from being in a shower area. While I don't think I'd use it for caulking, you probably could if you wanted to (just a bit harder to tool since it's a bit thicker).

The last time I checked, it appeared it was basically identical to Kerdi Fix, but about 1/5th the price. Maybe even a little harder-wearing too?

It comes in 300ml and 600ml tubes, but the latter is only sold in quantities of 20. In Canada you can purchase it from INNOMOTIVE Solutions Group which is based in Burlington, ON. It's about $5 per tube.

Sikaflex 255 also appears to be a contender, but I know less about that product.
Unread 03-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #11
advertguy2

Thanks for the tip Kevin. I'll look into it. I drive right by Innomotive every day, twice a day.
Unread 04-22-2019, 07:42 AM   #12
advertguy2

Just wanted to update this thread. Went the Kerdifix route. "Installed" the hooks Friday and they seem pretty solid. Hope they stay that way. Will update this if they fall off

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase