Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #106
pwgsx

I removed all the trim except around the door frame. I was going to undercut the 2 vertical trim pieces so the floor tile slided under but am wondering what you guys do to the door frame itself (undercut it as well)? The tile is going halfway where it will be meeting carpet.

Looking at my parents house, it looks like the tile was slid under the trim but they tiled around the door frame.....
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #107
pwgsx

Bathroom finished, all but the shower glass. Thanks to all that helped answer my many ?'s. Here are some before and after pics.
Attached Images

Unread 07-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #108
cherron
First Time DIYer :)

Looks great What size grout lines did you use with your 12" tiles?
Unread 07-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #109
pwgsx

3/16ths I think.
Unread 07-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #110
pwgsx

Angry

Well during the reconstruction of our house from the fire, a worker dropped something on the tiles ( outlined in red) the grout is cracked on both sides all the way down ( where green lines are) but the tiles dont seem to be loose although one has anice chip in it. How should I fix this? I dont trust them hacking away at it, so i'll be fixing it.

a. pop off all the affected tiles hoping not to take the hydroban with it, scrape old thinset off, and re-apply and grout?

b. scrape grout out and apply silicone color matched caulk instead?

c. Find a strip of granite or something that matches the color ( ideas welcome) and replace the whole section?
Attached Images

Unread 07-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #111
pwgsx

What would be the best, easiest tool to use to scrape it out?

Thanks
Unread 07-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #112
pwgsx

Ok, ill take a look at H.D. today.

No I was the only one home at the time and got out ok. It started in the garage from a electrical plug shorting out for some unknown reason. Although it only got the garage the smoke trashed the whole house and truck and had to be gutted. The contractor agreed not to touch my shower, so cracked grout i'll deal with. lol
Attached Images

Unread 07-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #113
pwgsx

Here are the pics of the cracking on the step into the shower
I need to fix this before the glass guys come to hang the door and all.
Attached Images

Unread 07-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #114
pwgsx

They seem to be, ill know more this weekend when I get to it. Thanks for the reply.
Unread 07-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #115
puckschmuck

I just read this whole friggin' thread and then got to the bit about the fire...

That sucks butt!!!

Kinda reminds me of National Lampoon's Summer Vacation when they finally get to Walley World...

Nice work on the shower, though.

Have puck will travel
puckschmuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #116
pwgsx

Finally got around to removing all the grout around the tiles. They all seem to be well set still and even with a lot of force they did not come off or move. Im not sure what caused it to crack the grout and not affect the tile bond but im happy. Today ill be putting down the color matched silicon in place of the grout and call it a day.
Unread 11-27-2020, 04:44 PM   #117
pwgsx

Leaking Shower

Well guys, its been 10 years since I built my shower and last week I noticed our carpet was wet after showering. I pulled the carpet back to find water leaking from under the wall when the shower is running. When the shower was a year old or so, we had a house fire. During this time it rained and water had flooded the house. After it was all fixed, we moved back in and I noticed the shower curb grout was cracked. I figured it was from all the work that had been done around the house and in the bathroom. I pulled out all the grout and put color matched silicone in there instead. It was fine all these years. Now I have a big water issue on my hands. I am thinking the shower pan is leaking or the curb. Attached are some pics of the area when it was being built. I used 3- 2x4 covered in cement board, taped and mudded all joints and the whole shower was covered in Hydro Ban.

The only thing I can figure is the wood 2x4 got wet years ago and cracked the waterproofing. Over the years it just got worse and worse till I had a visible failure. What is the best plan of attack? I really dont want to do a whole tear out. Im hoping I can just do a new pan, curb and bottom row of tiles? Thoughts, ideas?
Attached Images

Unread 11-27-2020, 04:59 PM   #118
Kman

Welcome back, Phillip.

Sorry you're back for this reason.

What kind of drain did you use? How is the waterproofing tied into the drain? Are you able to check from below for leaks?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2020, 08:19 PM   #119
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The typical shower drain doesn't work with painted on waterproofing. There is a method that can work - the divot method.

If the house flooded, the curb could have gotten saturated from below, and that can cause the 2x4 material to swell. That could damage the waterproofing and crack some grout and possibly tile along the way while loosening the bond of the tile to the shower.

Personally, I think liquid applied waterproofing is harder to ensure proper coverage than with a sheet membrane.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2020, 08:27 PM   #120
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Phillip.

I've combined you with your original thread on this shower so folks can see what you built and clear up the first two questions about your drain.

Appears that you used the Liquid Hydroban and the "divot method" with a standard clamping drain.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase