Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #16
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
Get it in writing spelled out very clear.. If it goes bad no one will remember who said what.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #17
superchunk

Mike - The person at the 1-888- Schluter line just said there was no data (good or bad) on Ditra over Ditra-Heat, so he couldn't definitively say whether it was ok or bad. We did talk about it being slower to heat with more mass and distance between wire and tile surface, and all that.

Eric - I have an email that included the Schluter Rep, where it was discussed (at least the wires under the pedestal part). I agree it's not the tightest linkage, but with this email and the photos they sent to Schluter rep (which they sent to me separately), it's seems moderately well documented.

I also have the Schluter warranty # now (sent from Schluter). Did/Do the installers need to send the in-process install photos for that warranty, or just wire resistance measurements and install date?

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #18
superchunk

Caulk Use in Field

Hey Everyone -

New day, new paranoia...

I had a bath floor professionally installed in the last ~3 weeks. There were a few grout touch up spots that I asked about in the main field of the floor and wall (2" hex floor, subway tile wall). These were things like small gaps in grout, some debris trapped in grout, white mortar showing that didn't get fully cleaned out before grouting,etc. The owner sent one of his guys to fix them, but he fixed them by digging out what had to be dug out and refilling using the color-matched caulk that was used in the corners. (Grout color = CBP 'pewter' (dark grey)).

Is this ok? If not, are there specific written rules or acceptable practices that I can point to as hard justification to ask this to be fixed using grout? He is the pro, and so I don't feel that I have much leverage other than just being
paranoid.

I did highlight to the owner (in writing) that it was fixed in this way and that I was concerned about the durability. He replied that he thought it was fine. The owner has a good reputation and no complaints out there, and he seems pretty knowledgeable based on the scant knowledge I've picked up from you guys. I just had a really good feeling about the guy. So, I want to have faith in his reply, but the caulk seems not right.

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #19
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Dear Paranoid in Portland, ()

In my mind the caulk will not wear the same as the grout, nor will it "age" the same. While it might look ok now I'll bet that won't be the case a few months, a year, maybe two from now. I think it'll be more pronounced on the floor - which is going to pick up more dirt, dust, etc than the walls.

Of course he said the caulk will be fine, that saves him time and money, at your expense. While he may be the pro, you are the customer, you wrote the check(s). If it isn't done to your satisfaction have them return and do it to your satisfaction.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #20
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

The repairs made was an attempt at being expediant. As Dan has pointed out, they will likely manifest themselves somewhere down the road "band aids" when they start looking/wearing differently.

I'm sarcastically thrilled that the owner thought that the "band-aid" was fine in their opinion.

But you didn't pay for caulk. You paid for grout. It's a bummer that you had to be the quality control person and point out missing grout and mortar that was poking through the grout that caused the repair in the first place.

It's times like these that it's good to be polite, but firm. I'd say something like this: "Mr. General Contractor. The caulk in place of proper grout is too much of a band aid repair. I don't think I should have to be the one to point this out, but your repair person is forcing the issue. I need that properly switched to grout. Thanks." This way, you are being very specific about a specific problem. A general contractor has to deal with all sorts of issues during construction and it's been my experience that a certain small percentage of concerns brought to their attention are, in fact, really nothing. They have to say, "I'll be fine" fairly often. I think that it's a great quality for a general contractor to deal nicely with all issues.....even any of the perceived issues so as to satisfy the customer. If a customer brings an unusually large amount of percieved issues to them all through the project, it becomes a delicate art to calm the fears of the customer without rolling over and taking a beating by the customer. But this isn't the case here. I'm guessing the general simply doesn't realize that this is a detail worth correcting.

If your renewed concern is still blown off as nothing, it would cause me to re-think everything I thought about the general and I'd have a strong desire to examine all sorts of details about the install that I previously had taken for granted. But I think the general will likely hear your concern expressed a second time in a firm tone and simply realize that this is a detail that he can't skim over. I think it'll get fixed and life will be grand.
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 02:38 PM   #21
superchunk

Thanks KG and Dan for the feedback.

Just to be clear, it wasn't the GC that said it would be fine, it was the owner of the tile setting company - the one with a generally good rep. This company runs several crews (~5?), but the owner still visited my site most every day there was work, except for this repair. I think your point is still valid in that it's easy for someone to say "it'll be fine" in the hope they won't have to fix the fix. Like I said, I have (had?) a good feeling about the owner, so I really wanted to believe him.

The GC has a project mgr running my project, and he didn't seem knowledgeable about such things.

I will send a note this time to the GC about changing to grout.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:05 PM   #22
cx
Da Home Builder

Mike, to whom are you writing your checks? That's the only person you should be expecting to see that your concerns are taken care of, regardless who actually did that part of the work. If you're contracted with and paying a General Contractor for the project, it's his responsibility. Period. Been there plenty times; have a few tee shirts.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 04:32 PM   #23
superchunk

Yup, CX, I pay the GC. Fortunately, in all written correspondence with tiler, the GC has been included. The tile owner told me explicitly that he was ok with and that it was faster to contact him directly, which is what I WAS doing. Hopefully, the GC will have my back on this one.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase