Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-15-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
Hess

Help with laying slate/quartzite

I am a newbie so be nice... I have started installing my slate flooring. I have been told that it is not slate but something called quartzie. It is called copper. In any case I have put down about 50 sqft thus far. Only app. 1450 to go!! The problem that I am having is dealing with lippage and I think what are called toe stubbers. The tiles are gauged and honned but they do vary in thickness. I am using ultraflex 2 as a thinset as well as a square 1/2" trowel. I guess I just suck at laying tile adleast I believe my wife thinks so. Is there anything you can do to reduce the toe stubbers/lippage after installation such as maybe grinding?
I made the mistake of starting of with a really cool looking tile but the problem was it was probaly one of the thinest. I really feel like I need some good advice before I continue on. Oh, the slate is beutiful by the way.

Last edited by Hess; 05-15-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-15-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
Mike2

Hess, you might try switching to a medium bed mortar and bumping up your trowel to the next notch size. Doing both should help compensate for the thickness differences between those tiles.

I see you are using Ultraflex 2 now. Give Mapei's Ultracontact a try.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
mrjetskey

pick a medium thickness tile out of the bunch,set it now your thinner tiles will take some backbuttering,and your thicker tiles a bit less mortar,use a straight edge to lay across the tile to get it same height. with thinset if you put too much extra mortar it wont hold tile up,that is why you need medium set .I think you oughta rethink that tile if it is that offsize for floor.It will be hell to move ,walk,and clean,unless you set it level.I for one love beautiful slate,I used it (copper colored) on my fireplace,I would never have used it on floor for the same reason ,lippage and most of it doesnt pass the water test.(it turns the water dirty if you soak it.)JMHO>Marvin
Unread 05-15-2007, 11:35 AM   #4
Hess

Thanks for the advice. Does the ultracontact adhere as well as the UL 2? Secondly should I chisel up the tiles that I have already layed that are causing the most problems and replace? ie most lippage. If so any suggestion in doing so would be appreciated. Thanks
Unread 05-15-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
Hess

Oh I forgot to say I don't feel the tile is that off size I just think I don't have the experience needed. What is the water test refered to?
Unread 05-15-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
Hess

Sorry. I guess I am just a bit stressed. I forgot to ask what is the difference between lippage and a toe stubber? I guess I probably know but I was just looking for an offset of a certain amount that you would consider a toe stubber. Something I can use as an acceptable lip you might say, a gauge. thanks.
Unread 05-15-2007, 12:18 PM   #7
nforcer2

i have a tavy tile puck that detects lippage i can send you. for a small fee
nforcer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 12:28 PM   #8
Hess

I deserve that. But at this point I feel like asking how much.
Unread 05-15-2007, 12:28 PM   #9
Mike2

Hess, the published shear strength (bond) data is nearly the same for both mortars. Example: Shear bond of quarry tile to plywood is 230 - 250 PSI for Ultracontact, 225 PSI for Ultraflex 2.

Whether you should chisel up the tiles already set is really something only you can decide. Same with answering the question as to what lippage is acceptable. Can you live with the way it is? That's the decision point. Setting stone flat takes years of experience so be somewhat forgiving as you judge your end results.

Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 12:48 PM   #10
Hess

Thanks Mike. I have decieded to remove a few of the tiles which stand out. I am going to Lowe's to purchase the Ultracontact you refered to. Hopefully I can find a starting point from which to work from using one of the thicker tiles. It's funny, I noticed the first 20 tiles I put down look really nice. It was the second batch that went sour. I wasen't done with them until midnight. Not smart.
Unread 05-15-2007, 01:20 PM   #11
austinpower
www.CoolAustinPads.com

Hess, i'm installing a slate floor too right now. I'm using 1/2" trowel with medium bed mortar. I have some toe stompers that I don't like, but I think as long as you keep them to a minimum, you should be ok. I guess it's all a matter of preference. The tiles I got are really bad. I bought 20% more than what I needed, but I still have toe stumpers. I think if I really wanted to remove all the toe stumpers, I would need to by 50% extra so that I can pick and choose the ones that have the same thickness. I also back buttered the thinner tiles, but sometimes I still end up with uneven tiles. I guess our reservations about installing the slate is the reason why most people don't recommend it for a floor. It's so purdy though.
austinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 02:17 PM   #12
Hess

austinpower

You are correct the slate is sooo fine I just had to have it. But as I have started the process of removing what I so proudly installed yesterday I'm having trouble feeling sooo fine. I know I'm in for it when the wife returns home from work. Where in austin did you purchase your slate? My came from Dela tile. They seem like a really good group to work with.
Unread 05-15-2007, 03:21 PM   #13
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Hess,

Try chipping the high corners of a tile you've put down. Nothing to lose.

When laying the tiles you can try to place high corner to high corner and low corner to low corner. This usually works up until about noon, and then the attitude sets in.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 03:38 PM   #14
Hess

Thanks John, I have removed 5 of the tiles that were giving me the most grief. Man that thinset is a beast to get up. I had to remove 1500 sqft of thinset and tile to start this project little did I know I would need to do it again. You say to try chiseling rather than using some type of grinder. I guess grinding is out, correct? I have determined that I am your man for demolition but the install is better left to the pro. In any case this is a great site and really do appreciate all the advice that I received. I feel sure more will be needed. Thanks.
Unread 05-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #15
Hess

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase