Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-09-2019, 04:51 PM   #46
smifwal

color matched caulking would be a option
Unread 09-13-2019, 01:45 PM   #47
dmypub

Schluter Metal Radius Edging Works ?

I am about to order "Schiene Satin Anodized Aluminum 5/8 in. x 8 ft. 2-1/2 in. Metal Radius Tile Edging Trim" (home depot in case I need to return it). Has anyone successfully used this product ? Any specific advice ?

I'm also wondering if this trim will match my existing "satin nickel" trim. Hard to find answer via websites. thanks
Unread 09-13-2019, 07:23 PM   #48
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The metal profiles need IMMEDIATE cleaning, or you'll stain or discolor them from the alkali in the thinset. Other than that, they work. SEt them, then wipe the exposed surface free of any thinset. Don't wait.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2019, 08:17 PM   #49
Gozo

Anodizing leaves a hard coating on the surface of aluminum. If it’s a raw satin anodizing, it will have a light gray tint to it. Anodizing can be used with dyes to leave almost any color though. Satin nickel tends to lean towards a warm light brown tint. The only way to tell if the two will be visually compatible to you would be to compare them side to side. If your local HD has these, you can return it if it’s not visually to your liking.
Unread 09-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #50
dmypub

Looking for tiles with a curved edge ?

I'm interested in tiling to a curved countertop edge. I've looked at the videos showing how to do this with grinders, wet saws, but I don't think I'd personally have much success achieving a smooth edge. Do they sell any tile which comes with curved edges ? thanks
Unread 09-14-2019, 12:20 PM   #51
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Are you talking about bullnosed tiles?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2019, 01:25 PM   #52
Kman

There's bullnose, and there's mudcap.

Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 115
Size:  4.4 KB

Name:  s-l300.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  11.7 KB

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #53
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yep, for a kitchen you might look into V-cap's that fold down over the edge.

In my kids bathroom I installed mud caps on the top and also on the front edge. 40 years and 4 kids later they have held up well.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 09-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #54
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

FOr a curved edge protection, Schluter does make a couple of profiles that have the mounting flange cut that normally holds it straight, with a section chopped out of it that allows it to be bent to follow the edge. This would give you a finished edge rather than trying to make your cut, curved edges look decent, the profile would be the outside, visible portion. Those come in various colors and if you chose metal versions, various finishes. You'd still have to cut the tile on a curve, but don't then need to make the edge pretty. The profile has a spacer that creates a grout joint at the edge while keeping the grout joint consistent. Both Schiene and Jolly profiles are available from the factory that way as an option.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #55
tatumjonj

Are you really going to let $85 stand between a job properly done and one kludged together? $85.
Unread 09-15-2019, 06:11 PM   #56
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'm with Jon, go buy more grout.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 09-16-2019, 07:22 AM   #57
HooKooDoo Ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmypub
I'm interested in tiling to a curved countertop edge. I've looked at the videos showing how to do this with grinders, wet saws, but I don't think I'd personally have much success achieving a smooth edge.
The process is easy, and once you have a rough shape with a grinder, only requires a sander and sand paper (80, 150, 300, 600 grit papers).

BUT the process can take a v-e-r-y l--o--n--g t---i---m---e.

I needed to tile the outside edge of a partition wall. Didn't want to spend the money (and didn't like the look) of using pairs or bull nose tile along each outside corner.

So instead, I took 6 12"x12" tile and cut them to the correct width of the partition wall and sanded the left and right edges to make 6 custom-double-bullnosed tile with nothing but a hand held sander (and many sheets of the above listed sand paper).

The bullnose came out perfectly smooth. But I did spend most of an entire Saturday (perhaps 10-12 hours) to get all dozen corners nicely smooth.
Unread 09-20-2019, 08:27 PM   #58
dmypub

3/4 inch or 1 inch for countertop base

Wondering if I can get away with using a 3/4 inch plywood base for my countertop. Do I really need a 1 inch base of plywood ? thanks ! Just trying to level my kitchen island with my stove !

Edit for clarity:

The side of my kitchen island I am concerned with is small: 15 inch x 24 inch. I am installing 3/8 inch porcelain tile.
This is a small "landing pad" next to fridge for taking items out of fridge.

Thanks !

Last edited by dmypub; 09-21-2019 at 12:27 PM. Reason: clarity
dmypub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2019, 08:44 PM   #59
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

It depends in multiple variables. For starters, how much of a span is the plywood bridging? What kind of tile are you using? Do you have a drawing oF the cabinet configuration or a picture you could share?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #60
dmypub

Ceramic Tile Thinset under hardiebacker ok ?

I ran out of regular thinset mortar and am wondering if I could use some ceramic tile thinset to put under a 24 x 24 inch piece of cement board ? Seems like it would be ok, but thought I should ask first..
dmypub is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase