Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-04-2019, 07:15 PM   #1
Ryanc22

Sealing Brick before grouting —Wait Time

Hi. I recently installed thin brick on a wall and floor and I am now ready to seal and grout. The sealer directions show a dry time of 2-3 hours so I planned on applying the sealer and then begin to grout after that time. After reading online it seems that most people say to wait 24 hours before grouting, but I am
not finding much on this topic. Any advice would be appreciated. I would rather not wait as I have limited time. Thanks!
Unread 09-04-2019, 07:24 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

For most thinsets, you should wait 24-hours before grouting. If that time has elapsed, go with the instructions on the sealer for the wait after that. You could put the sealer on prior to that initial 24-hours so you could grout after 24.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2019, 07:46 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

What Jim said, Or you could have used speed set and walked on the tiles even sooner.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2019, 07:59 PM   #4
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

You probably want to avoid getting lots of sealer in the gaps where you'll be grouting. See what the instructions say about that, or maybe call the manufacturers involved. Brick has lots of areas for the cement to grow into during curing, so it may not be an issue.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Unread 09-05-2019, 01:24 AM   #5
Ryanc22

Thanks for the replies. The tile has been set for two days so I am not worried about moving on it. I am just wondering if 2-3 hours is enough time for the sealer to do it’s job (completely dry) and not cause any issues while grouting? I plan on sponging it on and will try to avoid getting between the spaces as mentioned above. Also, I am assuming I will need to do 2 coats or more-how long should I wait before I start the 2nd coat since I will be walking over the tile I just sealed?
Unread 09-05-2019, 05:18 AM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

We have no idea which sealer you plan to use, Ryan. There are many different brands and each brand has several different sealers. The drying times vary so it's usually best to go by the label that's on the particular sealer bottle you plan to use.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 09-05-2019, 06:26 AM   #7
Ryanc22

Sorry, that’s a good point about the brand. The sealer is made by Tilelab—Grout and Tile sealer. I am starting this morning so I plan
on just going by the 2-3 hours recommended on the label and hoping to re-coat when it seems dry enough to walk on.
Unread 09-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #8
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

While there may be exceptions, following the manufacturer's instructions is usually your best guide!

Note that sealers aren't really designed to waterproof things...stuff you spill on them will soak in and stain IF you don't clean up quickly. How quickly will depend on what was spilled, the tile, and the type of sealer used. THey are generally designed to slow the penetration so you have a chance to clean it up, but won't stop it from staining if you don't. When first applied, stuff might bead a bit, but that's not a certainty.
Unread 09-05-2019, 05:42 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

They do make a grout release that we sometimes use on rough surfaces. I would mix a little grout and test an area. Even with the sealer applied, the grout might want to set too fast. Don't spread much at a time until you get the feel of it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 09-05-2019, 10:23 PM   #10
Ryanc22

Thanks for all the advice. I finished the wall today and had no issues with the sealer. I did the wall the traditional way and man did it take forever with the grout bag and finishing tool. I am going to try the floor tomorrow with the float and see how that works before going back to the grout bag.
Unread 09-06-2019, 04:52 AM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'd probably do the whole thing with the bag, Ryan. Using the float and sponge may look a little different than the bag and tool.

Depending on the brick, the float may fill the pores of the brick with grout and I'm not sure if it will all clean out. Sounds like you've been able to avoid getting grout on the brick using the bag which should turn out cleaner on the surface.
Can you post a pic when you're done?

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase