Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-28-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
turning_20

renovation old shower

Hi...I'm a newbie here, have done simple tile jobs on floors/walls but I have a totally different situation now. Am wanting to replace existing shower with mud pan and new tile on floor, walls & curb. My problem is this...I am standing facing the shwr doors. On my right is a sandstone wall to 6' or so. Above is 12" high sheetrock that dies into a 7' drop ceiling. (sheetrock overhangs stone & is frame behind) Back wall is tile to 7', left wall is tile also to same ht. with diverter/shower head, ect. Existing pan is "plastic" with recessed area that has tile on floor. Size of shwr is 48" x 32" and I'm wanting to increase depth from 32" to 42" or so (I have the room) My first question has to do with tearing-out all existing drywall down to studs (I'm assuming this is a "given") All has been in place for 30 yrs hence the remodel. The right wall with sandstone now has a alum. frame with plastic insert to keep water off stone. I want to cover all three walls with tile and am at a loss as what to do to cover-up the stone in prep for tiling. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Other questions to follow.
Thanks
Jim
turning_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jim.

Yes, the tear-out is a given.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
The right wall with sandstone now has a alum. frame with plastic insert to keep water off stone.
'Fraid I'm not following that at all. This is a structural stone wall of some kind? Think we need a picher. We like pichers.

If you'll go to the UserCP above, find Edit Signature and enter that first name it'll appear in each post automatically for folks to see.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
turning_20

CX... the plastic panel I'm refering to is just a plastic panel with an alum frame around the four sides and this is installed inside the shower area to cover the stone. It runs from the plastic shwr base up to the drywalled area. Roughly 32" wide x 72" tall and is all sealed to turn the water.
jim
BTW....the stone wall is indeed a structural item, 13" thick, solid x 6' tall with a 24" high stud knee wall atop the stone. Inside stud line on frame wall above aligns with the stone with possibly some stone protusions in places within the shower. Hope this answers the question.
thanks
Jim

Last edited by turning_20; 08-28-2008 at 01:37 PM. Reason: more info
turning_20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase