Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Old 06-24-2018, 06:02 PM   #1
lati_cz
michal

window behind stove

I am designing european style kitchen. I want to place window behind cook top. HO is aware of cleaning issues and it's ok with it. Kitchen is facing the street and placing the window elsewhere will create unpleasant look from both sides. I can find pictures on web, but can't find if it's code approved. I want to have some info in my hand before I ask at building department, they have tendency dismiss if they do not know....
We are ok with metal window.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:21 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

I know of no code restriction against having a window over your cook stove, Michal. Not likely to be approved as a required egress if that's a consideration in your design.

I'd expect them to be more likely to gig you for having a metal framed window unless it's a thermally broken metal frame. And it will need to comply with all the other environmental glazing requirements these days, 'specially in your State.

The only real source for the specific information you need will be your code compliance jurisdiction, of course. But you knew that.

What makes a kitchen "european style?"

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:47 PM   #3
lati_cz
michal

CX, egress doesn't apply in kitchen I think.....

All windows through house will be replaced with clad windows with wood inside, I am not sure city will let me install anything combustible behind cooktop, resp. not sure if wooden frame will be considered combustible. So we are ready to "offer" metal windows.

european kitchen - it's kitchen with upper cabinets of same depth as base cabinets. I am not sure if that's common name through us, probably just local slang.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2018, 10:31 PM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

Shouldn't apply, Michal, I agree.

As for combustible material, we frequently bracket the stove with wooden cabinets above and wood-framed drywall behind and particleboard countertops directly on either side. I've never been asked to put a window behind the cook stove, but I don't see why you couldn't. Biggest negative I see, aside from the cleaning aspect, would be the inability to have a properly installed vent hood of any kind.

More commonly we don't even have the stove against an exterior wall, though. Curious to see your layout for that kitchen.

As for the term European Kitchen, I'm just not familiar. Thought maybe it had some sort of definite style.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:07 PM   #5
lati_cz
michal

I recall I installed several ovens/hoods on exterior wall, don't remember any issue with it. What's your concern?
The window will be of size to fit between countertop and upper cabinet, will not be behind the hood. Something like on pic.
I plan to vent the hood up through the roof.
Attached Images

Last edited by lati_cz; 06-24-2018 at 11:21 PM.
lati_cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:23 AM   #6
smifwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal
I recall I installed several ovens/hoods on exterior wall, don't remember any issue with it. What's your concern?
That cabinet job I just did they are putting the hood for their cooktop on a exterior wall. just kidding just want to make sure I don't miss this

Last edited by cx; 06-28-2018 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Repair quote
smifwal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:11 PM   #7
lati_cz
michal

We moved windows to the sides. Thanks for input.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase