Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-25-2004, 07:50 AM   #1
connor314

Wall shower unit problem

My wife and I bought a Kohler Water Haven wall mounted shower unit. The problem that I see already goes against all that is preached over and over in these forums. The manufacturer's instructions call for the supply lines to enter the shower stall through the wall approximately 1 3/8" (hot) and 2 1/4" (cold) above the expected finished tiled floor height . The supply line must be at that height unless I want to get into cutting a higher access hole in the back of the shower unit. This means that I am cutting holes in the liner way below what is suggested. The cuts will be below the curb height. What do I do? I can't believe the manufacturer would suggest committing a shower pan cardinal sin!!! Please help.
connor314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-25-2004, 06:57 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Connor, welcome. I'm not sure what the answer is but I wouldn't cut the pan that low. I looked up that unit, it's a tower unit that looks like mounts to the tile or finished shower wall. Does the unit sit on the shower floor or can it be raised a few inches?

Lonnie might be around, maybe he has installed one.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2004, 07:35 AM   #3
LonnythePlumber

No I haven't

No I haven't installed one of these towers yet but I would not put in penetrations in the shower pan. Something must not be understood. The Uniform Plumbing Code wouldn't list something that conflicted with another American National Standards Institute listing. I'll try to look at the unit tonight. If you can't wait call the factory. Anymore they have humans just sitting around answering problem solving questions.
LonnythePlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2004, 05:11 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Conner,

I seen towers that are free-standing in the middle of a large shower, and of course there it wouldn't matter. I would not make holes in the wall that low, though. I'd send you over to Terry Love's plumbing site, but Lonny works that one, too.

I tried navigating that stinking Kohler site, but they want all my personal information that I refuse to give (that's all over the Internet anyway ). Somebody give me a link.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2004, 06:07 PM   #5
LonnythePlumber

Go to Terry Love

Go to Terry Love's site. I have not done one of these and there are a bunch of plumbers over there with a whole bunch of experience. Go there. I've put in a bunch of the center towers but these residential wall towers are new. Kohler is always coming up with something new. Some of them work too. Go to Terry.
LonnythePlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2004, 07:02 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
www.terrylove.com

Tell the guys I said hi.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase