Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-23-2021, 10:01 AM   #1
Desi

Tiling a concrete shower enclosure

Hi:

I have a shower enclosure that is currently tiled and I will shortly be removing the tiles and having it re-done.

The floor is concrete slab and walls concrete block plastered with a sand/cement mix.

Common practice where I am is to use thinset/tile directly onto the slab and this seems to work, the present tile job has been there for 20 years and I am replacing it because it looks dated rather than being defective.

I have read on a couple forums where they advise that you use a waterproofing membrane like RedGuard, even over slab but really there is not a lot out there regarding tiling over concrete floors and walls.

So what do you guys think, is a membrane really required and why?
Unread 04-23-2021, 10:37 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Desi.

If you'll add a geographic location to your User Profile we'll know where in Florida you're located.

There is no proper way to construct a residential tiled shower without a properly waterproofed receptor and a water containment system for the walls. None. The ceramic tile industry requires it, the plumbing code requires the waterproof receptor portion, and most building codes require it.

Yes, a waterproof membrane for the receptor is really required. Why? How else would you expect the shower water to be directed into the house's drainage system?

Yes, a waterproof membrane or a moisture barrier behind the shower walls is required. Why? Because you want all the shower water to go into the receptor and thereby into the drainage system of the house.

Now, this is your concrete foundation and your masonry walls and if you aren't required to comply with any building codes or industry standards and you don't want to, you are certainly free to build your new shower in any manner you see fit. I would want my tile shower to meet tile industry standards and that requires waterproofing.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2021, 11:10 AM   #3
Desi

Thanks CX

The property in question is actually in Jamaica (West Indies not New York) which may explain the lack of adherence to code (I don't think there is a code for this in Ja).

Now my only problem is to find a suitable product locally an not have to go on Amazon, that stuff is heavy!

Thanks CX for the guidance.
Unread 04-23-2021, 01:36 PM   #4
fabian55

Hi Desi, take a look at my thread I started about a week ago, it's similar to your question. My shower on concrete slab, they really helped me determine what to do..

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=130861
Unread 04-23-2021, 08:08 PM   #5
Desi

Hi Fabian:

Had a look at your pics, my situation is not quite the same as I have concrete floor and walls (and roof too). Great for withstanding hurricanes but slab roofs bring their own problems with leaks unless a good membrane solution is applied.

I am attaching the best pic I currently have, mot in Jamaica at the moment.

I'm not comfortable doing the tiling myself but plan to do the removal of the old tile and will import and apply RedGuard before handing over to the tiler.
Attached Images

Unread 04-26-2021, 09:06 AM   #6
fabian55

Hi, I'm not an expert but I have read a lot while getting ready to redo my shower. I would go with a Bonding Membrane Sheet, I personally would not just do Regard which is what I originally planned, if its not applied correctly or cracks, water will get thru.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase