Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 05-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #1
patrice9845
Patrice

Sealing porcelain tile

I have recently completed renovation of my 2 bathrooms. It included a large amount of porcelain tile in both. What is the best way to seal the tile and grout? How do I clean it without harming the seal? And, what kind of screws do I use to hang towel racks?

Thanks!

Last edited by patrice9845; 05-14-2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Forgot to include a question
patrice9845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Unless the porcelain is polished, it likely won't benefit from being sealed. The grout is what you need to concern yourself with. Use a brush or applicator to apply the sealer to the grout, let it soak in per the directions (usually around 5 minutes), then polish it dry with a clean white rag BEFORE IT DRIES ON THE SURFACE. A high quality sealer like StoneTech's "Heavy Duty Stone Sealer" (click here for sealer) is a good choice for grout.

Clean the tile with a nuetral-based cleaner to avoid stripping it from the grout. Find it in the same link to StoneTech products.

As far as mounting the towel racks, you generally use a plastic anchor in conjunction with a screw. Did the towel rack come with a set of screws and anchors? If so, you need to drill an appropriate-sized hole for that anchor. And in very tough porcelain, a diamond hole-saw is a pretty easy solution to just that. Take a look in the TYW Store again. Click on a picture link to "Porcelain Drill Bits",
then click on "Tile Equipment",
then under the "Tile Drill Bits" is a final link to "Porcelain Drill Bits".
While they seem pricey, they make short work out of a tough job.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 07:35 AM   #3
Marble Shine

sealing tile & grout

You would be surprised at how that kind of tile has micro pores that would benefit by using an Impregnator! Make sure what you buy says that instead of Sealer , sealers mean topical whereas Impregnators mean subsurface. The one I have used to protect both tile and grout is one called SRI Treatment (Stain Resisting Impregnator) it will soak into and give protection to even the tiles and make cleaning eaiser. Then use a neutral pH cleanser for weekly upkeeps. Use one that can breakdown oils and almost all I know of cannot effective breakdown oils. This is important to help keep mildew from appearing. Hope this helps.
Stan

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase