Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-28-2020, 07:42 PM   #1
SkeptiDC

Superior Tile Easy Curb?

Hi, I've been reading this forum over the past few weeks as my bathroom has been getting remodeled. I've gained lots of knowledge on shower pan construction, which saved me from having a traditional pan without preslope and durock screwed to the curb. So thanks!

After seemingly saving my pan liner by insisting on the proper construction, my contractor made the curb using the Superior Tile Easy Curb (sorry can't post links yet) - it's sold by the Tile Shop.

I thought great, no screws in the curb. But when it was all done I took a look and saw screws on the inside of the curb. However after finding the install video for the product, it's by design. If you search for the product on YouTube you'll find the company's installation video (go to 3:20 to see the curb).

My question is if this is an appropriate method? Has anyone used this product? And is there something I'm missing that makes screwing through the liner OK with this method?

Last edited by cx; 10-28-2020 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Light Up Link
SkeptiDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-28-2020, 07:54 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Plumbing code in most places prohibit screws penetrating the liner below 3" ABOVE the top of the curb...so, yes, I see a problem with that!

If the product has a plumbing code approval AND that's with the screws there, the contractor might have a leg to stand on, but a second flood test might prove just what's at stake here! WIthout a plumbing code approval when used in that matter, the general rules for building a shower would apply.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2020, 08:01 PM   #3
SkeptiDC

I'm trying to get that info from the manufacturer so we'll see.

The installation video shows the liner being placed in the center of that form, then it's screwed together from each side. The the entire thing is then filled with mud. Is that maybe how it's ok? They make a point in the video to say not to screw below the top edge of the liner around the walls...
SkeptiDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2020, 12:34 AM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If the curb is screwed to itself, and not through the liner, it may be fine. Not sure how that would hold it to the liner and underlying materials solid enough to keep from moving the tile and causing problems.

Can you post a link to the installation instructions?
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2020, 03:57 AM   #5
SkeptiDC

Sorry my account won't let me post links yet, but here is where you can see the video

tileshop.com/resources/installation-videos-and-guides/preparation-and-layout/how-to-install-an-easy-pan-shower-kit"

The curb starts around 3:20
Unread 10-29-2020, 07:49 AM   #6
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
Is this the same thing? Mark Kirby has had these on the marked for 20 years(more or less) but they are designed to take the place of the Lath.You do not penitrate the membarne.

http://markeindustries.com/videos.html
Unread 10-29-2020, 07:58 AM   #7
SkeptiDC

It looks similar to that, but it is different. It is meant to replace lathe, but it does require being screwed together, with the liner down the center. It's hard to explain, but if you go to this link you'll see how they say to assemble and install it.

https://www.tileshop.com/resources/i...pan-shower-kit
Unread 10-29-2020, 08:29 AM   #8
e3

just watched it. Also in that video they showed their screed system on both sides of the membrane, that would double the slope to 1/2" pf. The mortar bed over the liner should be a uniform 1 1/2" thick. They also did not install a vapor barrier behind the wall board. As the code is written it would not comply as Jim said.( not wrapped to out side of curb and 2" on jamb with no penetration's lower then 2" above). It would most likely void the warranty of the membrane. The flood test requirement calls for the water to be to the height of the flood plane, this would be to the top of the curb.
Unread 10-29-2020, 09:07 AM   #9
SkeptiDC

Yes, this is why I'm so confused by this product. It appears to be designed to avoid a wood + durock curb situation (at least in the product description), and they make sure to point out not to screw into the liner on the walls. So then screwing into the liner on the curb seems even more strange. I know on the surface it seems wrong, but why go out of your way to design this product this way, to ensure it's creating a compromised curb? I feel like there's something missing here...
Unread 10-29-2020, 09:09 AM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Ben.

I've never visited one of The Tile Shop locations, but I can tell you from all the reports we've had here (many) that I am very skeptical about any advice or products from that source. That video only reinforces my opinion.

There's no way that curb construction meets code requirements for a traditional shower receptor construction, not does the mortar bed comply with tile industry standards as Eric points out above.

Looks to me like still another failed attempt to reinvent a wheel that requires no reinvention.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2020, 09:10 AM   #11
e3

My guess is they knocked off Kirb Perfect and don't quite understand how it is to be used??
Unread 10-29-2020, 09:13 AM   #12
SkeptiDC

Ah, that's unfortunate to hear about Tile Shop, didn't know anything about it prior. I'm still just trying to wrap my head around the curb construction. Knowing it's not correct, maybe theres some way that the screw going through each side of the plastic squeezes the liner at the point, effectively sealing that hole? I guess I'll never know. Still waiting to hear from Tile Shop if they have any info about how the product works and how it keeps water out if the liner is punctured.
Unread 10-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #13
cx
Moderator emeritus

Ben, even if the liner is not punctured, there's no way that design makes the top of the curb waterproof with the waterproofing layer sloped properly to drain. And what about tying that non-existent curb top waterproofing to the walls of the receptor? That's one of the most critical areas of a shower receptor and the liner manufacturers sell pre-formed "dam corners" specifically to address those areas.

And the last thing your top mud bed needs is a lot of plastic dividers to tell the tile floor where to crack.

The whole concept appears to be developed to cater to a clientele that the manufacturer is convincing that they cannot create a sloped mud bed without expensive help. We here at TYW have put the lie to that hundreds of times over the past 20 years. You certainly don't need that plastic grid to make a properly sloped mud bed and you don't need the plastic grid to form a curb. Both have been done for many decades and both have been done by first-time DIYers for some of those decades.

Rant off.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 10-29-2020, 10:12 AM   #14
SkeptiDC

Yes, well to clarify (not that it really helps my overall situation) - only the "Easy Curb" is being used. The contractor created the pan bed (pre-slope, then liner, then sloped bed) without any of those plastic grids. He did say he wrapped the liner over the top of the curb as well, even though the install instructions don't do it, so I guess there's that. And he said he would Redgard the curb...
Unread 10-29-2020, 11:04 AM   #15
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
He did say he wrapped the liner over the top of the curb as well, even though the install instructions don't do it...
As I read the instructions for that curb device, there is no rough curb for your installer to have wrapped the liner over, Ben. Not sure what you're telling us. Or what he's telling you.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase