Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
Bruce Johnson
Bruce Johnson

Shower remodel

Greetings, and thank you in advance for taking the time to respond to my post. I have been reading alot on this site it has some very nice people and a lot of fantastic info.
I am remodeling a shower / tub area for my mother in law. While i have laid thousdands of sqft of tile flooring, this is my third shower installation. So i am a little apprehensive.
She getting on in age as we all are, and wants to take out the existing shower and tub make it a walk in type shower only. In our area they call them snail showers.
While it will be simliar to a snail shower it will only have one small curved wall on the east edge maybe four feet long. The other walls will remain flat.
If i can paint the picture for you,
the existing 3x3 shower (south end) and the existing five ft tub (north end)get demoed ( 8 ft by 3 1/2ft total).
Now i have an eight foot west wall with a 4x4 window in it next to the North end, two 3 1/2 foot ends, with that i plan on adding that curved wall exactly where the shower entrance used to be, at the south east end to close off the new shower area. Hope that gives you a visual.
Now i have read quite a bit mostly here on how this should all work and it looks to me to be a nobrainer to use the Kerdi system?
One, i cant make a curved wall without a flexible substrate. Two, there is no substrate in concrete (read easily made) so I opt for 1/4 inch drywall (two courses)and Kerdi membrane to water proof that wall the other three flat walls. Three, i have to make the entrance flat"ish" then float the floor and add the membrane on top too. (transitioning from ceramic tile)
I am assume the existing shower and tub drains are on top of the concrete (concrete pads in our area, Phoenix) and they will have to be pulled and retro fitted with new type? (suggestions on what to replace with are welcome here.)

The entrance to the shower needs to be made without the threshold so i will copy the entrance [in another area on this site] John B. had installed, slight bump is what it looks like, maybe a foot wide, height is what?
About half way from each end of the new shower i was thinking I would make another, sloping to each drain being they are at opposite ends of the area.
Is there any other way to make this entrance? or the wall?
Everything will be ceramic tiled with thinset, two by two's on floor or mosaic, and i will add insulation to the inside of each wall cavity as well as a vapor barrier and a backerboard on top.
QUESTION - With the Kerdi system why do we care if it is a backerboard (CMU) anymore? it is waterproof.

I can get some pictures if you think it would help. Thoughts..... advise...
Thanks again
Unread 09-11-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
bbcamp

Hi, Bruce!

Your plumbing drain must be a 2", and should be centered as much as possible in the area receiving spray. Hopefully, the old shower floor is built into a recessed portion of the slab so you can create the new floor with deck mud and get adequate slope to the drain. The entrance area need not be sloped so much. 1/8" per foot is adequate there.

The curved wall can be made from 2 layers of 1/4" drywall, or, if you can find it, Wedi board.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
Bruce Johnson
Bruce Johnson

Thanks Bob,
I dont know for sure but i doubt the drain was laid into a recess, it is currently in a manufacured plastic/ fiberglass shower floor. It is a two inch drain no doubt but is above the concrete to make the connection with the old shower pan and tub.
I am thinking i will have to crack concrete and replace drains on both ends of the area in order to attach. I think the positioning of the drain is okay for spray and i see having both as a plus, i am just not sure what i will run into once i get rid of pan and tub. And what to replace it with? Do Kerdi drains or other type simply abs glue to existing waste pipe? assuming i cut out old tops.
Unread 09-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
bbcamp

I didn't get the part about using the tub drain. You won't need to, if that means anything. It is a 1-1/2" pipe, though, so if you want to use it, you'll have to break out the slab and replace the piping back to the stack, or 2 inch pipe, whatever comes first.

Kerdi drains are used with the Kerdi system. There are adapters to make Kerdi work with older 3-piece clamping drains, but you don't have one of those. Kerdi drains come in PVC or ABS, and glue to the trap riser pipe.

Is this a post-tensioned slab? That makes a huge difference in your planning.
Unread 09-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
Bruce Johnson
Bruce Johnson

Negative on the post tensioning type slab. What are the rules about abondoning a drain?
Thanks
Unread 09-12-2009, 09:15 AM   #6
bbcamp

As far as I know, just cut it as close to the stack or main line as possible, then cap.

Since your slab is not post tensioned, you can bust out as much concrete as you want to recess the shower area. You'll need to pay attention to doweling your re-bar into the old slab, but it opens up a host of design opportunities.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase