Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
BBTAZ

Noble SIS Questions

So I went out to check on a floor a diesigner wanted me to look at the grout on because the installer had some trouble with nonsanded grout. Turns out that after looking closer at the tile, grout would flaking out if I knock on the tiles in areas. They are hollow (extremely) and I know the floor is set over Noble SIS. We pulled up a tile to see if everything was ok in the installation. It looks like the main cause may be that the installer didn't use the right glue under the SIS. My question is how well should the SIS be bonded to the concrete? If you have demoed tile with SIS under it is the SIS difficult to remove or does it just lift up easily after the tiles are popped?

Thanks,
Unread 05-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
MarkTarkus
Mark Christensen, Tile contractor

Ben, I haven't used SIS but I've installed a lot over CIS and TS which are similar. They can be installed with Nobles glue (ext, stickiest stuff I have ever used) or modified thinset. With either it is pretty hard to pull up if it was done right.

If the installer didn't burn the thinset into the membrane first I could see tiles popping off or sounding hollow. It really needs the mortar keyed into it to work right imo.

Maybe the concrete was dirty or had something on it to cause a bonding failure like grease or other residue???
MarkTarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
BBTAZ

Tile in high rise condo

I am looking at installing some tile over Noble SIS in a High Rise condo on the top floor. There is movement in the building that high up but it is designed well and is definately suitable for tile.
My question is should a flex mortar be used over SIS in this install? I am worried that the movement may eventually pop tiles?
Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

Ben

Bennett Brothers Tile
Unread 07-28-2011, 04:36 AM   #4
bbcamp

Ben, Noble doesn't specifiy a thinset to set tiles on SIS, other than to meet ANSI A108 methods. I suspect that you will get most of the benefits of using a high flex mortar over the membrane, but the membrane will be the limiting factor. I would think that carefull planning and installation of movement joints within the tilework would be more beneficial than the best thinset. Consider treating this floor as if it was in direct sunlight, with increased frequency of movement joints, etc.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase