Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
mbruner

New backsplash - how to deal with old damaged laminate backsplash

Hi. I am replacing a laminate counter top + backsplash with a new countertop and would like to do a tile backsplash. I've already got the new countertop measured and set to be installed. I need a bit of advice.

The attached picture is not the greatest but does provide a glimpse of what the area looked like before I began the project. The area in question is behind the old stove and along that wall. The new stove will be a free standing stove.

The previous backsplash is laminate/Formica over plywood. I began removing this backsplash (the first section came off very easily) only to discover that most of it can not be removed without the old adhesive damaging the plywood below.

So now I currently have a backsplash that is 75% laminate and about 25% somewhat damaged plywood. Removing the rest of the laminate is not going to be possible, so I'm debating:
1 cutting out the plywood and replacing it with backerboard, or plywood, then tiling.
2 installing 1/4 backerboard right over top and tiling over that. I'd lose a bit of counter depth but I don't think that would matter too much.
3 adhering some new laminate pieces to level out the places where I've removed the old laminate, then tiling over everything
4 tiling over it as is. Not sure if this is appropriate at all. The surface is not 100% flat at this point. Although the previous laminate was rather thin, portions where laminate has been removed have dried adhesive or gouges in the plywood.

At the moment I am thinking #2 is my best bet. I do not want to reinstall any of the cabinets if I can help it, and #1 seems like too much work to accurately remove the old backsplash. #3 and #4 would save some labor and counter-depth, but I'm not sure it would be appropriate.

Recommendations would be much appreciated!

Thanks, -Mike
Attached Images

Unread 06-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.

Can't tell from the picture where the backslash is located. Is the plywood mounted over drywall on the back wall?

If so I'd strip the laminate off and plywood and then evaluate the condition of the drywall.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase