Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 05-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #31
MHI
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I've learned from having a TM-75, that using the cheapest blade you can get works best.

The little direct drive, and gear driven saws don't have the horsepower to expose new diamonds with the better quality blades. Felker makes thier blades to last a long time with the tilemaster size saws, and using them on lesser powered saws results in a dull blade in a short time.

I have had good luck with a brand called Gazelle, that I find in the local brick and stucco supply houses around here. Been using the same one on the '75 for almost two years, and had one on the DeWalt for over 6 months. I'm sure its not the best blade, but it works great on both saws.

Put it on the Felker/target though, and you will be crying the blues after a week. It will wear down fast on a production saw. With the Felker blades on the smaller saws (including felkers own TM-75), I got less than a month before they wouldn't cut anything.

I've tried the hotdog too on the DeWalt. Its great for making curved cuts, unintentionally.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:55 PM   #32
Beaux
South East Texas Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to Beaux
You simply CAN NOT overwork a Tilemaster or a Target Tilematic.

Thanks Todd for givin ole BLUE a plug....
Beaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:12 PM   #33
Kx250

This is not a review of the Dewalt Thread or a what Saw do you Prefer thread. So it would be appropriate to stick to the subject of the first post.
Not sure why you would add anything about other saws in this subject??

I did appreciate the first post as it is good info for anyone that may have that problem with the saw.

Jesse

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere Wyo, next to a Volcano .
Kx250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Dan, The saw I recieved was a good saw...the only issue with it was the same issue Everbody had...The GFI
I've had two dewalts and never had a problem w/the GFI, although the last one I bought did have a different elect. hookup than my original one.

No one I know of has had that issue that "Everybody had". Mebbe they only ship the good ones to CO.

Quote:
The saw cut well...........Very well...........It simply was not as fast as the bigger motor.........
and that would make sense. If you put a 10HP motor on your felker/target, it would cut even faster. So, why don't you put a 10HP motor on your saw?

The only time I used a dewalt where I wished I had another saw was on a thick granite job. A kajillion cuts through thick granite. But there was a rail saw there, blades doubled up. However, I thought the guage setup was extremely cheap/flimsy, so after a few cuts, I went back to the dewalt. But the blade I was using at the time (was my bud's job, thus his saw) wasn't the best (his consistent downfall).
Then, seeing as this was a job that had about 2 days worth of cuts, I sponged down my saw and took the motor assm with me. On the way out the door, I realized another reason why I (and "Everybody"?) like the dewalt...don't have to leave them there and hope they're still there in the morning.

Quote:
If it is used as a day in day out saw you WILL buy 3 to every 1 Felker you would buy given the same conditions.
OK, so now I have some read business owners that state their felker has lasted them 20 years. OK, I'll buy that. According to your math, every 7 years I'd have to buy a new dewalt. I can live with that, especially considering the ease of operation, the unparalled ease of complex cuts, the unparalled light weight, the superior water retention, the ease of take down, cleaning, and storage/xport. And on top of all this superior design, one can move it from one room to another to another, to one floor, to another to another with ease, thus making large commercial jobs far easier.

So, with all those positives, if my dewalt only lasts 5 years, the superior design far outweighs any potential offset when doing gobs of cuts in one place for days. But then again, you do charge a buck a cut don'tcha?
Most commercial types do. But then again, most commercial guys I've ran into get that flaming fire in their eyes whenever money is brought up, so fearful they'll lose out on making a full dollar instead of just 98 cents on a 20K job...all the while b*tching and wh*ning about "not making any money", then when the job's over, it's yet another job where they "got scr*wed and lost their *ss" again.

Commercial guys never make ANY money!....yet they sure to seem to have all the toys.

Quote:
This has never been about anything more than saving Tilesetters money in the long run while improving versatility.
You are deviating from the truth here again todd.
The felker/target may cut straight cuts faster, but when you're doing walk in showers in a bathroom that's getting most everything done to it also, the ability to plunge cut with ease (you do have to hold your piece in mid air to do this, don'tcha?) and bevel cuts? Doesn't the felker/target, you have to attach come cheese grater looking thing to it? How do you adjust it to get different bevels?

How are mitered corners done on chair rails on the target/felker again?
And others are using the saw also for their straight cuts?

Quote:
We have seen some issues though on saws that are being used Heavily, Issues that may Never have come up had the tilecontractors not used it as a Primary saw but as a Specialty saw.
Well, the dewalts we had were used by 1-4 people, day in and day out. Never had any problems with them cept when someone wanted to skimp on a blade. (we all know how looney commercial guys are when it comes to a buck).
I guess no one told us the dewalt was a "specialty saw". Silly us. We were just using it as a wet saw. I hope we didn't break it inside or anything due to us not being given that memo. But you'd think with something broken, it'da stopped working by now.

I also have and use the dewalt 716 "chop box" and the dewalt "drywall mud" mixer to mix thinset. I've not gotten any memos on these, so I guess I better start checking around to see if these are "specialty tools" or just Primary ones. You'd think dewalt would label their "light duty" models as such so us contrator types would know one is for "legitimate contractors" and which ones aren't.

Quote:
Overwork it and it WILL fail you...........
Wow, the dewalts we've been using have been in daily use for, well, since they came out. I didn't know this about them. I guess I've not gotten that memo either. I should call all my buds and be sure to tell them that their wet saws a only "specialty saws" and not intended for regular use. Oh, and that they need to buy a felker/target so they can have a primary saw so they can be a "legitimate business".

Do "legitimate business" owners still use a mud box and a hoe? I should hope not as using gas/elect. mixers "WILL" break down. Been done by hand and hoe for prolly 75 years and nothing's gone wrong w/them yet.

Quote:
If you dont mind spending the money by all means, Buy a couple of Dewalts Instead of a Felker
Shouldn't we wait for the dewalt to break down first?
Should I bring another dewalt to jobs and leave it in the truck?

Quote:
.........That way at least you will have a Spare on hand..........and, If you keep buying them for a few years...LOTS & LOTS Of parts!!
what "parts" do they need "LOTS & LOTS" of? I think one guy broke broke his water pump. I think. He's had the saw for a few years tho, so I can't be sure if that's what he needed. Could have just been the plastic cover for it so no dingleberries get sucked into it. I know he broke that one time.

Quote:
Use it Only for what it is Best at & you may very well never buy another one!!
We do, we use it for tile and stone. No one's had to buy another one yet...unless it was to replace one that got stolen.

Quote:
As to condescending remarks.....I do not see that as the case Gary. ...I'm not sure What was said that you felt slighted about...
well, you'd need to be a "FULL TIME TILEMAN" and a "legitimate businessman" to understand, so I'm not surprised you don't get it.

No biggie.

Last edited by 284; 05-16-2008 at 06:17 PM.
284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:16 PM   #35

Quote:
Not sure why you would add anything about other saws in this subject??
I'd guess a fear or insecurity of some sort. I've never understood why people can get so full of themselves that they have to try and impose their personal worldview upon others...repeatedly.

...unless they are getting kickbacks from...certain vendors. That'd be my only guess other than the first one.

Me? I don't care what others use. I do get a skosh annoyed when people try to browbeat and/or belittle others tho.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #36
tweeker

The only problem I had with my Dewalt since it came out was the GFI also.
But I think it was because something fell on it and the metal prong got pushed in.

Bought a new GFI and cord for 10 bucks at Home Depot.
tweeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #37
duneslider
Utah Tile Contractor

Quote:
So enlighten me, what would be a good blade?? DUNESLIDER, you mentioned the Dewalt laser? Got a part #?
Figaro,

The blade I have is this one DeWalt Blade

I thought the stock blade was good for a little while, once I did a few hard porcelain jobs I could never seem to get it to cut good. I tried "sharpening" the blade several times but it never seemed to last more than a day. I may have not been doing it right.

Maybe one of the mods will split this thread in two and title one "what saw do you worship" and then leave this thread to what the OP started it about.

EX Tile Contractor
Positive Tile and Stone
Salt Lake City, Utah
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:58 PM   #38

Quote:
I've learned from having a TM-75, that using the cheapest blade you can get works best.
That's interesting Matt.
I noticed that on a grinder. I tried the $30 bosch and it jumped all over the place. Bought a Home Despot $15 cheapie and worked great.

I've had good luck with hard rock tool's porcelan blades on my dewalt. I like them as they're thicker than most. Not tried them on glass yet tho. The dewalt saws now come with the XP. That's better than the old one, but still it's only good for soft things.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:03 AM   #39
Paramount Installer
Chicago Tile Contractor

How many rpms does the DeWalt saw run at? I've fallen in love with the MK770 because it cuts so fast and smooth running a hotdog blade, which I've attributed to the higher RPMs. The downside is the saw is so small that you really have to get creative cutting a big tile. I get a good year out of them, and throw them away. $550 per year is a small price to pay for a consistent performer. I was wondering if the DeWalt would give me similar performance, but with more features and large tile capability.

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
George Washington

http://www.paramountinstallations.com
Paramount Installer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:35 AM   #40

George,
I don't know how many rpms the dewalts run at, but I figure it'd be in the "standard" range. Dewalt has pretty much taken over the contractor market.
Being Black and Decker/Craftsman, they have the infrastructure and deep pockets to do so. I used to try and avoid buying dewalt, but after not having much alternative choices, I started and was pleasantly surprised at their quality and more importantly--them doing all the right things as far as the little things for improvements for the contractor end of it. Short of it--I don't think they'd do anything goofy like makita would, having proprietary "standard" items.

We used the hotdog once a long time ago and it didn't work out. I don't remember what we used it on. I've had good use with hard rock's porcelan blade w/the dewalt saw. (not good on glass tho) I don't know who makes it for them tho. I'd like to try norton clipper blades, but hard to find them in CO.

If rifles work best with a certain load, maybe wet saws do also?
Old 05-17-2008, 09:15 AM   #41
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

4200 RPM's

Heres My Initial Report, You may find the thread helpful:

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=19208
Old 05-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #42
Dan Clark

Duneslider,

Regarding:
Quote:
The blade I have is this one DeWalt Blade
For reference, here's the link again: http://www.contractorsdirect.com/DeW...category=20552

This is the new blade that DeWalt service gave me. If some people like it, more power to them. As I wrote above, I thought it was mediocre - noisy, didn't cut well, etc.

The Pearl blade that I got is much better - faster, better cuts, straight cuts, and minimal chip out. The part number is: DTL10HPXL. I got mine from a local tool distributor. Here it is at Contractors Direct.

In Todd's Review, someone posted a comment about the Dewalt being good for tiles up to 20 inches or so, and only the last 6" were an issue.

I'm pretty sure that this is wheel alignment. I.e., depending on which way the wheels are out of alignment, the saw will twist to the left or right when the front or back wheels come off the rails.

The other problem with the wheels out of alignment is that you need to loosen the height adjustment to make the cart roll smoothly. I.e., keep it nice and tight and the cart binds in places. Loosen it up and it rolls smoothly, BUT that means that the cart can wiggle more.

With the wheels in alignment, the height can be adjusted pretty tight, but it still rolls pretty smoothly. And, there is almost no wiggle when the saw comes off the rails.

Regards,

Dan.

I am... Tileless in Seattle

Last edited by Dan Clark; 05-17-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Dan Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #43
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'd bet the DeWalt saw is good, can't say though since I've never used one. I would use it for 15-20 years though before I'd compare it to a Felker /Target. I like to buy the best tool I can find and take good care of it, not replace it every few years. But, that's just me. My oldest Felker was bought new in 1983.

I did use a Hot Dog blade once, it seemed to be awfull flimsy compared to others.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:14 PM   #44
duneslider
Utah Tile Contractor

Dan,

Is this the Pearl blade you have, your link was directing to the DeWalt. Pearl Blade

I will try that one next. Like I said, the Dewalt one I have is much better than the stock blade. But I would agree it is a little loud but much faster than the other blade and I only have the stock blade to compare it to.

I don't have much work this week so I may try to take a closer look at the cart and see what I can do to mine.

I have found that occasionally running a green scrubby pad on the rails helps it roll a lot smoother. I would imagine a high grit sand paper would work too. It helps with those little "binds" you mention.

I would like to get one of those thicker core blades just for the times when I have to make a lot of straight cuts. I don't see them working well when most the cuts I make are L-shape cuts and you need to lift the tile to clean the inside area.

EX Tile Contractor
Positive Tile and Stone
Salt Lake City, Utah
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #45
Dan Clark

Bryan,

Sorry about the link. I fixed it.

Thanks,

Dan.

I am... Tileless in Seattle
Dan Clark is offline   Reply With Quote