Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 02-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #16
cx
Da Home Builder

Chan, you are not likely to see the problem at all just looking at the product immediately after installation. You'll see the problem when the tile installation failure occurs.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:53 PM   #17
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Before he goes any further and DO NOT PAY HIM any more money, have him get his process in writing from the SLC manufacturer and make sure the SLC manufacturer will warranty this install for you. I would say in about year 2 or 3 they are gonna start cracking and coming loose.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:44 AM   #18
Todd Groettum
Theoriginaltileguytodd

Thanks Dave...Shrinkage makes sense to this ol country boy..Like I said, i have never used it and am wondering how it is QEP can call it a good underlayment for tile...hmmmmmmm course they call the saws they sell good too so yea..
Old 02-09-2017, 08:29 AM   #19
Dave Gobis
da Man!

I made some props at CTEF for awhile where we bonded a membrane to a loose 8' piece of 1/4" ply with thinset. Looked like a banana by the end of the week. Some SCL's have the same effect on uncoupling membranes, will pull them right off the floor.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #20
Cria

Not to hijack the post, but I am planning on using cork underlayment as a thermal break under radiant heat mat. (slab, SLC, cork, heat mat, thinset, tile).

I'm wondering if there are any opinions on best/acceptable brands of cork underlayment. HD has (on line only) QEP and WarmlyYours, also several online companies with cork underlayment sheets rolls.

This is for a small bathroom, 12" sq green marble tile.

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #21
DropGems

Just following up here. When I contacted qep they didn't recommend the slc but said "Since this is cement-based product like any thinset mortar it will hold. Hopefully the seams where cork was butting up against each other were taped to prevent the self-leveling cement in a liquid state seeping into and possibly causing the gaps to swell."

Yea I don't think anything was taped. I told them no slc for the living room so only the bedroom got it. The cork didn't seem to be down securely either in many spots and the concrete was probably very dirty :/ I'm not gonna lose sleep over it though. I live in NYC and have been staying in a hotel after firing my first contractor and I have to go away soon and get this job finished. I tried to be extremely careful with everything but the job started getting convoluted when I added radiant heat and they recommended cork etc and the tile guy recommends this and the tile shop that etc. the floors are almost done, look great and are laid very well but I suspect the subfloor is not passable or possibly a nightmare by forum standards here. I tried and did plenty of research in the short time frame that I had. This contractor seemed much better than the one I fired but in NYC everyone works fast and sloppy I've realized. They interview great then disappoint. Even my building is total crap and went up in like 8 months despite being all million dollar apartments. It's crap like every other building that went up in the last 15 years here. Typical NYC. As long as there's a good chance that it won't fail I can live with that. I will sell it in probably 3-5 years anyways and just buy another poorly built million dollar unit elsewhere in the city. Though if I do tile again next time, I will most definitely hire a total tile nerd from this board.

ps: Anyone have any positive horror stories that didn't fail to help my conscience? I read many stories about no waterproofing in showers being torn after decades with no mold etc. so that's reassuring lol.
DropGems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:09 PM   #22
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
tile lackey

So thinsets act that differently than slc's over cork? Or is cork just a bad idea?
Old 10-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #23
drwcal

I don't know why QEP is saying thinset will work on the cork underlayment.
I just got off the phone with Customs, Laticrete, Mapei and Kiesel rep departments seeing if they have product to set porcelain and they all said no not at all. The only one that said the might is Customs with their Meglite and then over a 1/2inch sheet good and then only with a 1yr warrantee for the materials only. So if anyone is thinking about going over cork I would strongly suggest not doing it unless you like law suits and taking it in the shorts.
Dirk

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase