Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Found usc_block_11 empty, added this: [CODE] [/CODE]
Sponsors

Old 09-06-2018, 10:21 PM   #1
makethatkerdistick

Your favorite all-purpose 10 in diamond blade?

Moderators, please move into my bathroom remodel thread if inappropriate here. Since it's a specific technical question for the professionals, I thought it might be ok here.

I need a good 10 inch all-purpose blade that doesn't flex and that provides chip-free cuts mostly for porcelain but also works well for ceramic and natural stone. I was hoping to not have to spend more than $70. What's your most reliable blade when you need cleanliness and precision in porcelain?

I do not like the stock blade that came with my DeWalt saw. Way too much flex due to the relief cuts in the blade that makes for slightly crooked cuts especially towards the end of a longer porcelain tile.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:23 AM   #2
Lou_MA

I like the T3 Razor.

I think there’s two versions - one with a thicker, reinforced core, as well as one without. They’re both good, but the reinforced core prevents you from being able to lift the tile up as far to clean out the corners of inside cuts.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Another vote for the T3 Razor.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #4
makethatkerdistick

Haha! That was fast. I just now ordered it online for $75 shipped. Seems like an excellent blade at a decent price.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:20 PM   #5
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

great price. I think I paid a bit more..but mine has the reinforcing flange and that might be the difference......

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Old 09-07-2018, 02:08 PM   #6
makethatkerdistick

This is the one I got. I didn't see two different versions.

https://www.masterwholesale.com/rtc-...ile-blade.html

Regardless, this will serve me well.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #7
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

You'll like it. You might need to "dress" it with some hard morter or a firebrick.

Last edited by Lazarus; 09-08-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:34 PM   #8
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Wolfgang.

You will likely love your new blade for porcelain. And it will eaily cut stone for other jobs. But due to the softness of stone with that blade, you will run into dulling the blade. Not on cutting the porcelain, so much...but rather on cutting the softer stone.

To explain, start by reading post #8 in this Liberry thread. Then scroll up on the page to post #3 for info on sharpening.

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #9
makethatkerdistick

Thanks, Bubba. I think I read those before but I will reread them thoroughly. I've got some red bricks that I keep for dressing my blades.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:54 PM   #10
DownEastGC
Carpenter

Excellent. Glad for these suggestions. Thanks OP & suggesters
The three blades I've been using have the fatter core/center and I just thought that was "the way it is." It's frustrating trying to lift tiles and "bend" cuts.

GC Specializing in Remo/Reno
DownEastGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:40 PM   #11
makethatkerdistick

I got my T3 Razor blade today, and it's the one with the fat core. I am impressed. I only cut porcelain today but I assume ceramic will be a breeze. I noticed little to no chipping. The cleanest cuts I've ever had. The blade just sinks into the material without effort. Despite the thin kerf, it keeps a straight line. I've only cut 8 in tiles, though. I wil have to see on the larger format tiles if there is any blade movement. But altogether a fine blade and definitely, at first blush, a few steps up from the stock blade.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #12
makethatkerdistick

Still liking the blade a lot. I noticed on glossy glazed tiles I get little chips. They don't bother me. I think it has to do with the vitreous layer not being cut cleanly. I assume since it's essentially glass, it is hard to cut without any chip. I also noticed that the cutting speed (within reason, of course) makes no noticeable difference. I get about the same amount whether I cut fast or extremely slow.

And yes, I've dressed the blade sufficiently. The cross section of the cut material is extremely smooth. This thing literally eats through porcelain and ceramic.

Despite the thin kerf I am not getting any noticeable flex because of the fat core. Long rip cuts are within 1/32 in tolerance. Pretty awesome.

I also noticed that the diamonds on this blade a pretty sharp. Sharper than on other blades I've used. I can leave a scratch mark on a tile by manually wiggling the blade across the surface.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #13
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Even though it cuts with little effort, I'd push the tiles thru kinda slow. It'll last longer that way.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase