Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-31-2017, 08:49 AM   #1
TN_DIY

One of those home improvement shows

Visiting with my parents over the long weekend and watching some house flipping show. Couple in Las Vegas IIRC with some guy who drives high end sports cars but is a complete @#$%^&*... (can't say it in public).

Well they renowned some house with an intact shower (appeared to be in OK condition) of white square tile but a much outdated border about 4-5' up the wall. They simply cutting out the old border at the grout lines down to the studs... and then filled in with new cement board and some new accent tile and grout to make it look more modern. Wow.

I'm sure you all would not approve. I just thought I'd get your reaction. I'm guess I'm surprised they would show the progress of such poor methods since it more or less encourages the average homeowner that it is acceptable to do the same.
Unread 05-31-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Bill. The reason they show poor methods is because they don't know any better. It will be nearly impossible to tie in any type of moisture barrier. But it probably doesn't matter because there probably isn't a moisture barrier behind the original tiles.

This type of workmanship is what keeps the knowledgeable installers busy.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2017, 10:09 AM   #3
ScottinSoCal

I've seen those home improvement shows do a lot of things I'd never allow in my house.
Unread 05-31-2017, 10:26 AM   #4
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

My biggest issue is that they show a complete shower remodel and it's done by the second commercial break! So, guess what the HO now expects?

I recently did a shower rebuild from the slab up and the studs out. 2x4' tile with a border accent, new curb, etc. VERY wonky studs and a lot of prep work involved. Kerdi everything. BR floor rip & replace as well. Total time, 2 weeks for one man. He loved the work but complained bitterly about the time frame involved. His comment? "Job shouldn't have taken more than 2-3 days!"

I told him to not call me for any other work and please do not refer me to any "friends."

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
Kman

Certainly not something I would approve of.

You'll find that some home shows will show a lot of methods that we wouldn't approve of, particularly in the area of shower construction. For many of them, it's all about the show and very little about proper methods and materials.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

It's normal for me and my helper to spend 2 weeks in a shower, sometimes longer. Some of these showers are 4x7 and 9-10 ft tall with all the bells and whistles. I once told a builder that it takes more time to build a nice looking shower that will last. I then told him that I'm going to give him a top notch job whether he wanted it or not. It was my choice not to do any more work for him.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2017, 11:24 AM   #7
Dave Gobis
da Man!

Funny this should come up now. Was watching first time flippers last night hack in a job. Don't think I have ever seen an instance on that show where the tile work would likely have a long uneventful service life.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2017, 11:34 AM   #8
TN_DIY

Of course I agree with all of you and of course I posted this as a what not to do. It just appalls me what some consider workmanship. The 'p' at the end should be another letter. And even on those shows I sometimes notice things in the 'finished' project I could not tolerate. But it's OK for a quick sweep of the camera.

My wife likes the idea of a project being done in a weekend or two or an episode but I can't do that. She waits patiently on me because she knows I'm the type that stresses over the details but my work generally never must be redone. It might be out of date but never broken. I have probably spent more time working on my marble bath and shower project than I will spend in it for the next 10-20 years combined. Thanks to a lot of advice and research here it will be in good shape for at least that long I believe.

I imagine when I am at the home improvement store that over half of the stuff going out the door is destined for some hack job by either the homeowner or sadly even a professional. The moment where they stand back and say doesn't that look nice is short lived.
Unread 05-31-2017, 11:49 AM   #9
t2jeff

What is good for the camera isn't always good for the homeowner......

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase