Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
Richard317

Leak in Kerdi shower bed?

I'm getting ready to tile my bathroom. The subfloor is plywood. The Suntouch heat mat is properly attached to the floor (staples on the mesh, hot glue at the wires). I would like to thinset the Ditra onto the heat mat in one step. Schluter says use modified to put Ditra onto plywood but they also say if I use a heat mat then put that down first with modified then lay the Ditra with un-modified. Can I do this in one step if I use un-modified thinset for this process?

Then when I set the 13 x 13 inch porcelain tiles over the Ditra I plan on also using the un-modified thinset here, too. Some sites recommend using modified under porcelain tiles, but with Ditra I believe the un-modified is preferred. I'll back-butter the porcelain tiles.

Is 1/4" x 1/4" trowel best for both of these jobs?

Thanks,
Richard
Unread 09-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
Jaz
Michigan Tile Pro

Hi Richard,

NO, 1/4" trowel is not correct for either step. Use 5/16"V to install Ditra and 1/4x3/8x1/4 to set the tiles.

I don't see how you're going to install Ditra and at the same time make floor flat in the areas where there is no heat mat in one step. Whatever technique you use, remember it must be modified on plywood. Once the entire floor is covered with modified, you should use unmod to install Ditra, likewise to set the porcelain.

Jaz
Jaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
Richard317

Thanks for the reply, Jaz.

What I was going to do was set up a "fake" mesh and wire on the floor near the toilet which is the only non-heated area. That way everything will be "level". It's a small floor, only about 35 square feet. Would you consider this using a modified thinset? I don't think the logistics of a one step process would be a problem.
Unread 09-05-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
Richard317

Porcelain tiles on walls

Bathroom tile project with 13" x 13" porcelain wall tiles. Some of the porcelain tiles will be over Kerdi, some over just Hardiboard. For the porcelain tiles over the Kerdi walls (shower) I plan on using un-modified thinset (Laticrete 317). For the Hardiboard walls in the rest of the bathroom should I then use a modified thinset (Versabond)?

Also, for the shower floor, the tiles will be 4" porcelain squares over Kerdi. What best here in the wet zone, modified or un-modified thinset?

Thanks.
Unread 09-05-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Hi Richard,

is this all for your same project you have asked other
questions for in other threads you started ?

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=59028
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=66140

one of the moderators can re-title a thread for you with your project name on it if you want, then all the members that help you can have an idea of what you have going on.

both thinset's are good, but I would use the Versabond for being an all around good thinset for all your applications.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa Installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan Board
......Tampa Installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdi-Board
..................."Tampa Waterproofed Tile Showers"
..............Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2008, 11:20 AM   #6
Richard317

Thanks, Brian.

Yes, it's the same project. We can like them together, but the first link is not pertinent anymore. Just the recent link that I posted this morning is relevant.

So you are comfortable with using Versabond under Kerdi?

Regarding my other posting this morning...

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=66140

with the idea of doing the Ditra over the heat mat in a one step process. Would you do this and would you use Versabond under and over the Ditra?
Unread 09-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

I like Versabond on it all.

the link you posted doesn't work.
I'm not an expert on heat mat installations, someone else needs to help you on that.

I would say set the heat mat, make smooth and let dry , then install the Ditra.
but what do I know.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa Installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan Board
......Tampa Installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdi-Board
..................."Tampa Waterproofed Tile Showers"
..............Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
Richard317

My cut and paste was bad. Here's the post:

I'm getting ready to tile my bathroom. The subfloor is plywood. The Suntouch heat mat is properly attached to the floor (staples on the mesh, hot glue at the wires). I would like to thinset the Ditra onto the heat mat in one step. Schluter says use modified to put Ditra onto plywood but they also say if I use a heat mat then put that down first with modified then lay the Ditra with un-modified. Can I do this in one step if I use un-modified thinset for this process?

Then when I set the 13 x 13 inch porcelain tiles over the Ditra I plan on also using the un-modified thinset here, too. Some sites recommend using modified under porcelain tiles, but with Ditra I believe the un-modified is preferred. I'll back-butter the porcelain tiles.

Is 1/4" x 1/4" trowel best for both of these jobs?

Thanks,
Unread 09-05-2008, 12:36 PM   #9
Mike2

Quote:
Can I do this in one step if I use un-modified thin-set for this process?
You really shouldn't, Richard. You won't get a real good bond to plywood using unmodified mortar. That's why Schulter recommends using modified directly over ply.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
Mike2

Richard, I see now you've posted the same question on two different threads. We really wish you wouldn't do that.

I'm going to combine both threads now so further duplication does not take place. Please, use this thread here for all your questions on this project. OK?

P.S. - By the way, anytime you want to change the main title of this thread, just post up the request and any moderator can do that for you.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 09:52 PM   #11
Richard317

leak in kerdi shower bed?

I just filled my kerdi shower base with water for the leak test. I see some very small air bubbles coming up from different places. The air bubbles seem to be coming either from the fleece on the top side of the kerdi or through the kerdi. The bubbles only appear every 30 seconds or so.

Does the fleece hold some air in it until it is totally saturated with water? After half an hour I'm still getting a few bubbles (one per minute).

I got a good solid bond of the kerdi to the mud bed with Versabond, no air pockets. The seams are all tight. The little air bubbles are coming from the "field" of kerdi on the shower floor.

Is this normal?

p.s. Moderators.... please change the title of this thread to "leak in kerdi shower bed?"
thank you
Unread 09-10-2008, 10:19 PM   #12
cx
Moderator emeritus

Reach in there and rub the surface with your hand, Richard, and make alla bubbles turn loose. Then make a mark onna side and see do your water stay inna pan or go away.

Water stays in, pan is good; water goes away, pan is not good.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #13
Richard317

Thanks CX. After two hours now I'm rarely getting any air bubbles. Still one every few minutes though. I'm a thinkin that it's like air bubbles forming at the bottom of a glass of water. No sign yet of the water level going down. Now I better go check the bubbles in my beer and leave the shower pan 'till tomorrow.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase