Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
pcmacd

Pool Step Decorative Tile Repair

I had to drain the water from my fiber-glassed, in ground ~15K gallon gunnite pool.

The glass and tiles in question are approximately 14 years old. The tiles are under water, and set flush into a recess in the glass in strips one tile high.

Inspection of about 50' of ~3/4" tile strips showed enormous grout damage. I'm pretty sure the contractor used a standard non-sanded grout to place the tiles, so I am surprised it lasted this long.

While cleaning out the joints for re-grouting, I found about 30 tiles that are loose from the mesh underneath that originally held them together and down to the surfrace. There is not lots of depth available underneath for a material to anchor them with; I was thinking perhaps of using a very thin coat of standard JB Weld or JB Waterweld.

I know the standard can be made thin enough; it is said to be "steel filled" and for "marine use." I have no experience with the waterweld product.

QUESTION ONE:
How would 'yall recommend seating these loose tiles before I re-grout?
QUESTION TWO:
I was advised to use an epoxy type grout for the repair, but after finding a box at Home Depot for about $25, was shocked to find that one had to mix the entire batch. They gave no hint as to "pot life."

Since the original grout lasted this long, I have no qualms about using a standard, non-sanded grout.

WOULD THIS BE A MISTAKE?
tanks.

mac
Unread 12-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
jerrymlr1

Hello Mac. Can you post a pic or 2? I'm not really clear on the situation. The area under the tile needing replaced or reset needs to be clean and the mesh removed. I would use Grani Rapid to set the tile . You can use regular grout but I would use some Anti-Hydro the strengthen the grout.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase