Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 03-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
emaxxman

white haze on tan grout

I just finished grouting my tile. I use Custom Builder's grout (Home Depot), their stain blocker additive and water. I mixed exactly per directions (32 oz additive and 32 oz water), mixed thoroughly and let it sit for 10 minutes before applying.

There is a white haze that is on the grout itself. I wiped the tile down as I grouted in sections. I can't get the haze off of the grout itself - 1/8" joint with sanded grout.

What is this haze from? Is it from the additive? I didn't have this haze issue with 2 other floors (but I didn't use the additive on those floors).

Can I use a stiff brush to scrub it off (it's been about 24 hours since grouting.)

Grout release? Grout cleaner?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
kevo

did u mix the grout as according to manufactures specs??? haze usually indicates what is called 'effloressense" which is lime deposits in grout usually from having too much water in youir mixture. im not sure on that but could be the issue. there are different methods in removing it, but dont take my advice as i havent had much experiance in the removal process. if you sealed your grout too early that may cause a haze as well, grout had to cure minimum 72 hours before sealer can be applied or the white haze can appear as well..... hope i helped
Unread 03-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
emaxxman

Directions called for 32 oz's of water plus the 32oz additive container. I used exactly that. I measured with a measuring cup.

I have not sealed it.
Unread 03-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Thang~You said you mixed it, let it sit for 10 minutes before applying. Please tell us that you remixed it again after the ten minutes?

“I came, I saw, she conquered."
The original Latin seems to have been garbled.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
emaxxman

Lazarus - I followed the instructions on the bag but to be honest, I don't recall. It's possible that I didn't. I do remember stirring the pot up with the grout float right be applying it.
Unread 03-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
Stone Dude

I have seen something like these before. To me it seemed like the additive leeching up to the surface. its white, and almost shiny?

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
emaxxman

It's not shiny but the color of the grout is a lot lighter than expected. I used the same grout in the shower (done a year ago) and it's a lot tanner.

I didn't think the additive would actually lighten the grout and since it was for the floor, I wanted some stain protection.
Unread 03-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
emaxxman

I should add the the lightness is very even across all of the grout lines. Maybe haze is the wrong word...it's almost like I chose a lighter grout.

So, I guess the question now is, how do I lighten the grout in my shower area to match the new grout outside of the shower? The tile outside of the shower covers the floor and 30 inches up the wall.
Unread 03-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
MDS

In an inconspicuous spot, try a little dilute acid (white vinegar will do). If you see no reaction (bubbling) then it is the additive on the surface. Give them a call and see what they recommend to remove it.

If the acid does bubble & fizz, scrub it a bit and rinse. That is efflorescence from too much water during wipe. The color may come back. Might want to use sulfamic acid or something else from the tile department for the whole job instead of vinegar.

If you cannot get the colors to match, color seal all of the grout.
MDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
emaxxman

Thanks Mike. Regarding the color seal, how long does it usually last? I'm more concerned about the shower wearing off.
Unread 03-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

It sounds like an efflorescence issue. You could try a product like the following. This is non-acidic but there are other options out there which are like restore from StoneTech. I would try and small bottle of this on a small area and see if it solves your problem.

http://www.aquamixdirect.com/servlet...-dsh-Ex/Detail

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #12
Simpler

Lighter grout with Miracle Grout Shield

I just grouted a new porcelain tile floor today and I mixed a 70 oz bottle of Miracle Grout Shield with a 25 lb bag of Haystack color Polyblend grout from Custom Building Products (as the instructions indicated). The grout is a much lighter in color than what it should be. I tried to put a little bit of white vinegar on it, but it didn't bubble at all.

emaxxman, how did you solve your problem?

Thanks,
Kevin
Unread 04-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
MDS

(I sell color seal so I have a jaded opinion, and an agenda I suppose, but...)

Everybody is in pursuit of the ultimate, stain-proof no maintenance grout. the so-called "Stain Proof" Spectralock stains. All of these mix-n-match additives to already modified grouts will stain. Most of these offer improvement over standard grout, but with their own baggage, i.e. time, hassle, money, mysterious color changes. We see these things get color sealed all of the time to fix problems.

Grout lines, no matter what kind of grout, will always get dirty. Simply because they are recessed and few homeowners or building maintenance staffs have the tools and and knowledge to keep them pristine. T&G cleaners will hardly be put out of business with these new miracle grouts.

Personally I love all the attention "clean" grout lines are getting these days. Driving home the idea that grout should be pretty is good for us the the color seal biz.

Grout lines will always require some degree of maintenance. I contend that a properly color sealed grout line is the easiest and most economical answer in the long run.
MDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #14
swiftynotso

explanations about grout

grout is like cement in the way that if its to runny it shrinks to much and the cream comes to the top so mix it as thick as ya can and still work with it,also when washing dont wash to early as to scrub it out of joints,i been a tile setter for 17 years,ive seen some real dandy stuff people do.any questions email me at swiftynotso@yahoo.com
Unread 05-31-2011, 09:32 AM   #15
gardenmaven

Smile Same issue: lighter grout & white residue with Grout Shield

We just grouted our new tile floor and have the same issue mentioned in this post. Our dark brown grout is much lighter than supposed to be and there's what looks like a white residue on much of the grout. Just like 2 others in this thread - we used Miracle Sealant company's Grout Shield (highly recommended at Home Depot).

I don't see a resolution mentioned in this thread. I tried the diluted white vinegar last night and there is no change. I will call the Miracle Shield company this morning but wanted to check here first. Is there a problem with this product??? If there is then it would be good to get the word out.

Has anyone found a fix to this problem already? I have a concern that this white polymer additive has an inherent problem, particularly with darker grout, and that there is no fix.

By way, I am very grateful to folks on this site. I posted several weeks ago that my husband wanted to lay tile on plywood without underlayment. Your comments helped me convince him that we needed the Hardibacker. Thanks!

Julie

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase