Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-09-2006, 09:52 AM   #1
bron

Tub Flange Problem

Hi Folks,

Got a problem for which I need some advice. I'm tiling my tub surround and I installed a glue-on flange for my garden tub, then put up plastic moisture barrier and hardiboard to the top of the flange. I was considering the layout for my tiles and realized that the gap between the hardiboard and tub (the height of the flange) is too tall (1/2 in.) so there is no backing that the thinset & grout can adhere to. Is there a product I can use to fill in the flange so the tile will have a solid waterproof backing?

Bron
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #2
Mike2

If you brought the vapor barrier down over the flange you'll still be OK. The wall tile can bridge a 1/2" gap easily. Matter of fact, you'll want to stop the tile 1/8" above the tub anyway so the gap becomes 3/8". I don't think you encounter problems grouting that small of an unbacked area. Fill the joint up good, it will stick.

You can always run a good ol bead of high grade silicon caulk in there along that flange for added insurance.

Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
bron

Tub Flange Problem

Thanks for the quick reply. Your answer was music to my ears. I'll put the extra silicone caulk bead inside as you suggest.

bron
Unread 03-09-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
kevjob
Licensed Remodeling GC

fill void with thinset backbutter tile then set it make sure to keep tile to tub line clean and clear of thinset then use 100% silicone for tub to tile line also if it is a bigger tub fill tub with water first let it setle for 1 hour then caulk leave tub full for 2 hours or so then drain wait 24 hrs good to go. filling tub settles tub to lowest point so caulk wont crack when u fill tub and add your weight.
Unread 03-10-2006, 09:16 AM   #5
bron

Tub Flange Problem

If I can avoid putting in the thinset that would be my preference. At the beginning of this job, I had to clean a bunch of it off the tub and you know what fun that is. That's great advice on the caulk - I really don't want any leaks or opportunities for mold to take hold. One more question: I did some drywall patching/leveling above the hardiboard and the tile will extend up to this area. Is priming the wall all I need to do before applying thinset?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase