Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-23-2020, 10:20 AM   #1
Restoreman

Tools to remove grout from thin joints

I have used several brands of 1/16” carbide blades - both with oscillating tools and rotary tools. They wear down fast and don’t always get too deep into the grout because of the thickness.
I was thinking about diamond instead of carbide. I would also like to find a blade thinner than 1/16” ( i.e. 1 mm)
If anyone has tried such a blade out, please let me know your experience (blade life, speed of removal, etc.) and the brand/ model number of your blade?
I was told that some of the very thin diamond blades (small discs) for a Dremel like tool clog to easily or break to easily.
Thanks
Unread 10-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #2
Restoreman

Best Grout for re-grouting 4” ceramic tiles in a shower ??

My shower (45 years old), has 4” white thin ceramic tiles with white grout. The grout gets moldy and cannot be cleaned back to a white color.
Anyway, 10 years ago, I re-grouted the shower using an “Unsanded Ceramic Tile Grout – Latex Fortified” mfg. by Color Tile. It did not last.
5 years ago, I re-grouted using Laticrete unsanded 1600 grout coupled with “Laticrete Grout enhancer” ( claims to inhibit growth of stain causing mold”).
Let’s not chastise me for not keeping the shower dry and/or not cleaning sufficiently or regularly enough)
I am about to re-grout again and would like to get your opinion as to the best Mildew resistinat grout.
Cost is not an issue since I only have 75 square feet.
I was thinking about epoxy, but I found it way too difficult to clean the tile when I installed it on my kitten countertop 25 years ago. I will never attempt that again
I called Laticrete and they recommended that I use a relatively new product of theirs called “Laticrete Spectralock 1”. This is a pre-mix product (about $110/gallon on amazon). Again, the price does not bother me, but I don’t want to have mold stain my grout in the future.
Does anyone have any experience with Spectralock 1 or can recommend even better products other than epoxy? Thanks
Todd
Unread 10-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Todd.

Best to keep all the project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered.

If you'll type Spectralock into the Advanced Search feature and limit the search to the Professionals' Hangout you'll find a good deal of discussion about that very new product. You'll also find much more in depth discussion of Laticrete's Spectralock epoxy grout. Not the same material you used 25 years ago and much easier to handle.

There are also a couple other "single component" grouts that have been on the market for several years that you might want to look at. One by Custom called Fusion Pro and another by MAPEI called Flexcolor CQ. There is a bit of a leaning curve for each, but it's not a steep curve.

Do you know what type of water containment system was used on your shower walls? Would influence what sort of tools are recommended for removal.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2020, 12:15 PM   #4
Restoreman

Thanks CQ for the advise. I will do a better search as you suggested. I will also look at Fusion Pro and FlexcolorCQ.
I am not sure what you meant by "water containment system" If you are asking the material and/or barrier that the tiles were mounted on, I do not know. Would you recommend different grouts for different containment systems? I have never had a loose tile or grout falling out so I "ASSUME" that it was installed properly on the right material
Todd
Unread 10-23-2020, 01:03 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Your shower, if properly constructed, could have a moisture barrier behind the CBU (or possibley mud?) walls or it could have a direct bonded waterproofing membrane on the inside face of the wallboard. If the first, you wouldn't damage the waterproofing with aggressive grout removal, if the second you need to be much more careful.

If you have no need to worry about the waterproofing, a utility knife can be effective in removing un-sanded grout from narrow joints.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 10-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #6
Restoreman

Thanks CX. Sorry I typed CY on my last response
Unread 10-25-2020, 06:01 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Todd, most mold and mildew problems can be avoided with more ventilation in the bathroom. Keeping the shower door open at least part way and a fan to help dry out the shower helps.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Actually, Todd, you said CQ in a previous post. I'm beginning to worry about your dyslexia, my son.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase