Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 05-31-2016, 09:56 PM   #1
Bostongrout

Blotchy grout

i just had a marble hex floor grouted. Problem is when it dried the grout was blotchy in color. Also, the grout isn't totally flush with the top of the tile. My tile guy can't be bothered to fix it saying it just needed to be scrubbed (which he did and it didn't work) so I am hoping/wondering if I could apply another layer of grout over this one to fix the coloring and also to bring the grout level with the tile? The grout was done about a month ago. A lot I've read says I would have to dig up the old grout but I thought since the grout wasn't level with the tile that maybe I had some leniency with this rule. I've attached sa photo. Thanks for any advice.

Ps: grout is laticrete 1600 unsanded.
Attached Images

Unread 06-01-2016, 10:33 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Peter.

No, a thin layer of cementitious grout applied over what you've got doesn't stand a chance at sticking. The new layer would be so thin and dry out before the chemistry ever had a chance to establish a bond. The new stuff would flake off. You would need to remove the grout to 2/3rds the depth if the tile before re grouting.

It's tough to get perfectly flush grout joints. Though, an experienced tile installer knows about using burlap to get really full joints.

1) But can we ask just how far below the tile is the grout?
2) Is this a bath or shower floor? How many sq/ft?
3) And can we assume the installer has been paid in full and us probably the reason "he can't be bothered"?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2016, 11:23 AM   #3
Bostongrout

Thanks Tool guy for the info. I ended up grouting over the old grout. I know it might not stick and flake off but I would say there was a good 3cm of exposed tile that I had to work with. It's small hex tile and there are literally hundreds of grout lines so I couldn't even fathom digging it all out...at least right now since we literally just finished up two months of construction. If in a year from now, it needs to be regrouted I'll be in a better mindset to dig up the old grout and start from scratch. The tile guy was already paid in full so he's not coming back. Like I said, he made some BS excuse why it looked like it did when he was here just so he didn't have to admit he made a mistake and redo it. It's completely frustrating but at least for now, it looks nice.
Unread 06-06-2016, 08:58 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

We wish you luck, Peter.

If you remember, please come on back and give us an update as time goes on.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase