Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-25-2020, 07:25 PM   #91
cx
Moderator emeritus

Some years ago Laticrete advertised a method whereby they mixed one of their cementitious grouts with a proprietary additive so you could actually bond and grout the tile in one motion.

We'd contacted them on behalf of a visitor not long ago and they indicate that they no longer sell that "system" or product, or....whatever. What I think their rep, or perhaps it was another member, said you can do now is grout the tiles from the back and then set your sheet into the flattened mortar bed as I described above. I've never tried that, and it's gonna be a tricky thing to get the paper off without dislodging the tiles, but still in time to finish the grouted surface. Think I'd wanna do one or more small practice runs before I committed another full sheet of tiles.

Perhaps someone who has actually done that will weigh in.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2020, 09:17 PM   #92
HouseOfJoe

Interesting idea. But I don’t see how you could do it in one step and have a finished product with the grout since the paper would block you from doing any final pass and you couldn’t remove the paper until it was placed in thinset and the thinset had cured.

I suppose you could lightly key the back with grout with the intention of the grout only penetrating roughly halfway. Let that cure, then place the now relatively stiff sheet, which would effectively be one single solid backed tile (thus no thinset squeeze), in normally combed thinset. Let that cure, remove the paper, then do a final finish pass with grout.

Hmmmm...

Mrs Joe better freaking LOVE this niche! LOL!
Unread 10-25-2020, 09:54 PM   #93
cx
Moderator emeritus

Oh, she will, she will.

You really should be able to just set those stones into a flattened thinset mortar bed without excessive squeeze out, Joe. It's done regularly and I can testify that it will work. It does, like many other things tile, require a bit of a touch.

One other thing to consider, now that you hafta arrange the stones again, anyway, would be to set them on a sheet of Kerdi or similar material, let that set up, then install the sheet as a single tile. That's been done lots of times by lots of our visitors.

Unread 10-28-2020, 08:17 AM   #94
HouseOfJoe

Modified vs unmodified thinset

Got the stones reset, applied the paper last night, pulled it out clean this morning. Will set them tonight, hopefully much more successfully this time!

I want to confirm something I've read in other threads. Schluter recommends modified thinset for putting down Ditra over plywood, unmodified thinset for everything else, tile, Kerdi membrane, etc.

I've read in various threads here that modified thinset will work just fine everywhere as long as you don't care about voiding the warranty.

Anybody think that's not true? I don't really care about the warranty. I've got no problem using unmodified, but locally I can only seem to find a single choice of unmodified thinset and it's gray, and for no really rational reason I prefer using white.
Unread 10-28-2020, 09:44 AM   #95
cx
Moderator emeritus

Joe, there might still be some thinset mortars out there that still use a latex polymer as their modifying agent, but I think you'll find there are far more that use a polymer other than latex and don't suffer the drying problems that Schluter fears. If you shop at Homer's, Custom's Versabond is known to work quite well with Schluter products. There are many other such mortars out there, but that's one that I've used repeatedly with Schluter products quite successfully, as have many other members here.

You're correct that you will not have, nor do you need, the warranty, but the mortar will work just fine in your applications. If you have a failure, it will be an installer error.

Rational reason for use of white thinset mortar is that it's more pleasant to work with and looks cleaner where you've been sloppy. If you elect to use an un-modified thinset mortar (ANSI A118.1), be careful to find one that is of good quality. You will not find such a mortar at Homer's in any color.

Unread 10-28-2020, 10:10 AM   #96
HouseOfJoe

Thanks, CX. Yeah, Versabond was the one I had my eye on. I think I've seen you and others saying that on Kerdi regular Versabond will work just fine, no need to go with the LFT Versabond. That still true if I'm tiling the ceiling (which I am)? I'm using 12x24 tile, but the LFT is an extra 3 or 4 bucks a bag, as I recall.

Though I suppose it's nice that Schluter offers a warranty, I know any problem I have will end up being my fault, no matter whose fault it really is. Also the reason I never buy extended warranties! The fine print always gets you.

Last edited by HouseOfJoe; 10-28-2020 at 02:42 PM.
HouseOfJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #97
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

FWIW, some find that white thinset tends to be better than the same one in grey because to get it white, the products that go into it need to be a bit 'cleaner' and sorted out better. That may or may not actually be true, but hey, if you aren't trying to set a translucent tile or a really dark one with a weird grout, white works. In some cases, grey may be better. White tends to cost a little bit more, though.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2020, 04:48 PM   #98
HouseOfJoe

Trying to decide on if two different grout colors (bathroom floor and shower walls and floor) is a good or bad idea.

Shower tile is a fairly light tile, bathroom floor is not dark but certainly quite a bit darker than the shower.

The lighter color I go with the grout the more it blends with the shower and contrasts with the floor and then vice versa going with a darker grout.

I know it all ends with personal preference but I’m curious what people think on the subjects of either two grout colors with both of them blending or one color with a higher contrast on some of the tile.
Unread 10-29-2020, 05:37 PM   #99
cx
Moderator emeritus

I'm sure you could find folks who would vote in favor of any particular combination you conjured up, Joe, but the only opinion other than yours that really matters at all is that of Mrs. Joe.

Unread 10-29-2020, 07:09 PM   #100
HouseOfJoe

CX, I knew you were going to say that! LOL!

By the way, second time was the charm.
Attached Images

Unread 10-30-2020, 06:49 PM   #101
HouseOfJoe

And grouted! I’m happy with it and more importantly, Mrs Joe is thrilled.

Used Flexcolor CQ for the first time. Liked it a lot. Now I can finally get to waterproofing and get some tile up on the walls!
Attached Images

Unread 10-30-2020, 07:58 PM   #102
cx
Moderator emeritus

Nice lookin' piece, Joe. If you ever get the shower finished we'll put that niche in the Niche section of our Alumni Photo Album forum.

Unread 11-01-2020, 08:44 PM   #103
HouseOfJoe

Schluter says they want a 1/8 by 1/8 square notch trowel to apply the Kerdi membrane/band. I've got a 1/8 by 1/8 v notch. Will that work just as well?
Unread 11-01-2020, 09:30 PM   #104
HouseOfJoe

Another question on the Kerdi gaskets...my mixing valve is rectangular, not round. I can get the gasket onto it by stretching it, but then the Kerdi band ring won't sit flat. The gasket is also proud of the edge of the valve by an 1/8. Any advice on how to deal with this?
Attached Images

Unread 11-01-2020, 09:45 PM   #105
cx
Moderator emeritus

No, that would not be an interchangeable trowel for the application. Get yourself a 1/8th" square notch to install the Kerdi. You'll be glad you did.

Can't help with the gasket thingee. I've never used one. Were I do a Kerdi shower today, I'd use some KerdiFix or Silicone on the edges of the backing material as I did before Schluter came out with those flanges. If I were using KerdiBoard as my backing material, I'd do nothing to the hole at all.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase