Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-26-2021, 11:53 AM   #1
KevMatt

Kerdi Board to drywall transition question

I'm installing the Schluter system into a small stand up shower and, given the age of the house, it's no surprise that the room itself is not square. The only way it seems that I am able to get the shower itself square is to have the kerdi-board sticking out the full 1/2 inch width of the board past the drywall next to it. I don't want tiling to be a total nightmare. Any suggestions about the cleanest way to do this?
Attached Images

Unread 04-26-2021, 01:47 PM   #2
BIGPHIL

Welcome to the forum, Kevin! Well...you could do any number of things there, some of it dependant on your tile and the available trim pieces in the line. A bullnose cap, v cap, a Schluter finec trim with mitered tile edges on both sides. Not sure how well mortar will stick to the foam edge though. If you go that route, I'd perform some tests and see how well the mortar adheres to the foam or even set those side prices to the foam edge with Kerdi fix....or maybe rip some thin pieces of the Kerdi board on a table saw and Kerdi fix those to the foam edge.
Unread 04-26-2021, 04:47 PM   #3
RichVT
Vermont Remodeling Contractor

The last time I ran into that situation, I just finished and painted the inside corner and then tiled right to the edge of the outside corner. First picture is rotated - it's the right side of the shower in the second picture. Not really noticeable if you get everything lined up.
Attached Images

Last edited by RichVT; 04-27-2021 at 06:34 AM.
RichVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2021, 10:30 AM   #4
jeffnc

It appears to me you simply cut the Kerdi Board too long so it won't fit inside the drywall. What am I missing?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase