Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-13-2021, 04:53 PM   #1
Formfacts

Need advice on how to trim two large niches.

Hello all! I am looking for advice on how to tell my tile guy to trim two new niches in my tub/shower to shower renovation.

He did a nice job on the hall bath niches, but now we are moving to the master. In the hall bath, we did two 12x 18 niches with 5 inches of space between them. The bullnose for this tile was 3.5 x 12, so it lined the inside edges of the niches perfectly, and was finished w a marble mosaic on the back.

BUT, in the master, the white ceramic field tile is 8 x 20 and the matching bullnose choices are 2 x 8 or 2 x 12. The back of niche is a small multi colored marble hex.

I don’t particularly like the idea of piecing the BN with a cut piece of field tile to “make” a 3.5” deep solution. But is this the standard way to handle this?

Would you instead recommend a white marble pencil to finish the edge? Is this hard to install and look nice?

Or would a better solution be to find a solid marble piece to line the inside edges of the niches and forgo BN?

Any expert advice on what looks nice and isn’t a bear to pull off?
Unread 06-13-2021, 05:08 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

He could rip the 2 inch BN down to 1 3/4 and add a 1 3/4 field tile behind it. All the choices you mentioned are possible. Pencil rails look good to me but can be time consuming. Best to get together with the installer and figure out which one you like best.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2021, 05:21 PM   #3
Formfacts

Is it a pencil or a quarter round piece that typically goes on the edge of a niche?

These are user uploaded photos of the field tile I’m thinking of using. I like the look of the edging here. I think it’s cleaner than the pieced bullnose idea.
Attached Images

Unread 06-14-2021, 09:29 AM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Those look like pencil rails to me but quarter round would look similar. I would buy the rails before your tile guy starts the walls. The field tiles around and inside the niche needs to be cut to work with the rails you buy. The rails come in different widths, 1/4 inch to 3/4, even larger might be available.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2021, 03:07 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Another choice, depending on your design aesthetic might be to use a profile which is quite common in Europe. Schluter, and others, make a wide variety of profiles, but I think Schluter has the widest selection of material, shape, and thicknesses. https://www.evokebuilders.com/post/2...er-vs-bullnose

Bullnose tile has becoming much harder to find in matching trim for ages, which is why profiles were invented decades ago. It used to be in bisque tile that bullnose and other trim tiles were very common...not as much today.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase