Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
liz-o

Is Kerdi or Noble in a tub/shower overkill??

HI,

I have been reading these forums for a few weeks now and just can't seem to find the answer to my question. While I understand that a waterproof membrane is recommended for a shower pan, should it also be used on the walls of a standard tub/shower installation? How about under the tile floor in the bathroom?

I hate doings things over so had convinced myself I should get it but when I inquired about it today at the local tile store they said it was overkill. I got the same response about using red guard.

Some background: I have gutted my bathroom and am getting ready to set some durock in thinset on the subfloor. Next weekend I will set the whirlpool tub, install electric radiant floor heat and ceramic tile (and possibly a water proof membrane).

Thanks in advance for the advice,
Liz
liz-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-08-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

I normally wouldn't bother waterproofing the floor, but would consider either a surface waterproofer on the walls or a membrane in the shower. Is it overkill, yes. Does it cost much, no. If you have the vapor barrier properly installed under the cbu on the walls, it doesn't buy you much. It's one or the other, though, not both, either under or over. The thing that I think does buy you some is if you opt for the expansion joints at the corners and wall/tub junction...then you can totally eliminate any caulk. When used in the corners, though, you really want the walls to be plumb along with the corners being square.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
liz-o

Thanks Jim!

I planned on putting 6 mil poly behind the cbu - good to know that I shouldn't do both. I guess I have to think about the expansion joints and eliminating the chaulk. Ugghh another decision. I've done alot of renovation projects but this one is by far the most overwhelming!!

Last edited by liz-o; 12-08-2007 at 07:53 PM.
liz-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
trecile

The advantage of waterproofing the surface right beneath the tile versus waterproofing behind the cement board is that the shower will dry out faster, since there is no where for the water and moisture to go. This should help to keep mold and mildew from forming.
Unread 12-08-2007, 07:56 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Liz,

I'm with Terri. I don't think it's overkill if the tub surround is used as a shower.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 07:59 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Hi and welcome. Here's the link to the Liberry.
Unread 12-08-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
ALBERTA_LEXUS

Sorry to hijack your thread but I am doing a similar project and I put up vapor barrier and then I was going to use Hardi Backer and then kerdi. I would rather overkill then not enough. Is it bad to have that setup ( vapor barrier>Hardi backer>Kerdi ? ) Thanks. I already bought all the materials.

Alex
ALBERTA_LEXUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 08:56 PM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Alex, you've got to stay on your own thread, buddy.

We discourage the vapor trap that is created by installing a membrane front and rear. Better to do one or the other. If moisture does get in, it's got to have a way out.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase