Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-30-2021, 08:28 AM   #121
Sclib

Shower door dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
What kind of door you putin’ in there Scott?
Jeff, believe it or not wife wants a shower curtain. She says she will just leave it pulled open when not in use. Shower had a barely used glass door on it when I demoed it but for some reason she wants the curtain.

That, of course, could change as guests start to use the shower…..wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
If the light switches are a concern you could always just install a GFCI breaker in the panel for that circuit. The zap will be minimal.
Good point on the zappppppp Dan
That switch is already on a GFCI so no worries there.

Thanks for the input guys!!!

Stay safe out there!!!

Scott
Sclib is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2021, 05:12 PM   #122
Sclib

Update pic and NICHE DILEMA!!

Just another update pic. Getting closer!!!

I have a Question about tiling around the niche.

It seems to me that the best way to tile around the Niche is to set the inside ledge tiles first? These will overhang the wall tiles. If I set them first, it will give me a reference to cut wall tile up to (leaving my 1/8” grout joint).

Please see the niche photo for reference. I set some pieces of tile on bottom inside ledge as a reference.

Question is: Is this the way to do it? Set inside ledge tile first? All 4 pieces inside Niche first…..before surrounding wall tile.

Thanks in advance……really need input!!!!!!!

Stay safe out there!!!
Attached Images

Scott
Unread 06-01-2021, 11:06 PM   #123
Sclib

HELP Please!!!

Please refer to post above on order of Niche tile. I have been asking for advice on this (3 times) since 5/22 and now it is Mission Critical.

Can someone please give me some guidance on setting inner ledge tile first or not?

Details on how to set that tile to ensure that wall tile below will line up with ledge tile overhang.

Please and Thank You!!!

Scott
Unread 06-02-2021, 07:30 AM   #124
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Scott,

I'm not sure I see/understand why you would have to "notch" the wall tile at the bottom of your niche, from here it looks like the top edge of that wall tile aligns with the bottom of your niche. It looks like you can install that bottom niche "ledge" tile and maintain your grout line.

Regardless, in your case I would install all the wall tile first. Depending on the accuracy of your framing you might consider leaving them juuuust a bit long, and you can adjust the thickness of your thinset mortar behind the niche tiles to maintain a consistent grout line between the niche tiles and the wall tiles.

Those niche tile, are they bull nosed?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2021, 10:09 AM   #125
Sclib

More niche fun…….”NOT”!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
I'm not sure I see/understand why you would have to "notch" the wall tile at the bottom of your niche, from here it looks like the top edge of that wall tile aligns with the bottom of your niche. It looks like you can install that bottom niche "ledge" tile and maintain your grout line.
Thanks Dan, I can see why you might think that wall tile did not have to be notched from picture I attached. I stacked 3 pieces of tile inside niche behind that wall tile (wall tile is just dry placed). I attached a better photo showing that I’m going to have to cut aprox 3/4” of an inch off top of that wall tile where it meets niche…..in order for it to be level with bottom of niche.

Inside niche ledge tiles are not bullnose. They don’t make a bullnose tile that matches my wall tile. It is porcelain tile so color is a tan/grey consistency that sort of matches tile face color. Since I don’t have the tools or skills necessary to bullnose those inside ledge pieces, I was just going to leave them square edge and hang them over the wall tile (if that makes sense). Other option is to install same Schluter trim around niche border that I installed at left and right wall edges. That’s a choice I still have to make.

Hopefully these xtra photos help paint a better picture. That right edge of that wall tile is going to be a sliver at that 3/4” where it rises above bottom of niche. Something else I’m going to just have to figure out.

Sounds like to me It’s one of those “installers choice” things as to install wall tile or inside ledge niche tile first. I just have to commit and move forward.

Thanks again for the “push” Dan.

Anyone else care to weigh in before I go try and cut that scary piece off the wall tile where it meets the niche?
Attached Images

Scott
Unread 06-02-2021, 10:32 AM   #126
cx
Moderator emeritus

Or you could raise the floor of your niche and keep your wall tile grout line intact.

A raw tile edge is not likely to be the best look a fella might want as his finished niche edge, but that's up to you and Mrs. Scott. Aside from using a trim material of some sort, back-beveling the niche tiles and wall tiles would be the only reasonable option I see. That would be a bit tricky in your case, but doable.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2021, 10:34 AM   #127
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Ah yes, I see it now.

With all the hard work, time, and commitment you've put into this so far, Scott, I'd really recommend that you install some trim to hide those cut edges, and is exactly why such trim exists. Given their prominent position those raw edges will be very visible - you'll always see them.

Additionally, that one wall tile with the skinny little piece on the right end - I think you are going to be hard pressed indeed to cut out that 3/4" section and keep that skinny vertical piece intact.

You'd have to mock it up to be sure but using the trim might allow you to just cut that skinny piece off.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2021, 10:48 AM   #128
Sclib

Raising niche bottom and niche trim

Thanks CX…..

Would you mind elaborating on “back beveling”? Also, building up/raising bottom of niche is a great idea! Seems like it would help me avoid that “scary” bottom niche cut. I think I’m going to have that same issue at the top though. Don’t really want to have to “lower” top of niche. I will cross that bridge when I come to it

Dan, if I don’t think I can pull off CX explanation of back beveling, I will probably go forward with trim. Means stepping back and making a trip to town to pick up the trim. But you are right about hard work to this point and making it look good. Sometimes it just takes another persons confirmation of your thought process.

Thanks again guys and looking forward to “back beveling” tutorial.

Stay safe out there!!!

Scott
Unread 06-02-2021, 10:54 AM   #129
Sclib

CX…..raise niche floor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
Or you could raise the floor of your niche and keep your wall tile grout line intact.
CX, could you also expand on how you would raise the floor of the niche by the 3/4”? Stack tile layers or some other method?

Thanks.

Scott
Unread 06-02-2021, 11:16 AM   #130
cx
Moderator emeritus

I would likely mix up some fat-mud, use the wall tile (prior to setting) as a screed and ensure I had slope to drain. Then I'd apply RedGard to the new area after it had cured sufficiently.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2021, 12:39 PM   #131
Gozo

Scott, I’d have to agree with Dan in that you’ll always notice an outside raw edge. Even if no one else does; you will. Just the way we are with our projects. My vote is to use a trim. I used either a trim or a matching curb material in my project. Just a suggestion; you gotta go with what makes you happy now, and won’t keep making you go “Grrrr…” down the road. This is a pic of the margins of my niche. Perfect? No. But I’m 100% OK with it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gozo; 06-02-2021 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Spelling/grammer
Gozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2021, 02:55 PM   #132
Sclib

Trim/Niche suggestions….Thanks a million!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Even if no one else does; you will. Just the way we are with out projects. My vote is to use a trim.
Thanks Jeff!!! I think I am leaning toward trim that matches the edge of my left and right walls.

I think your trim out of the niche in the photo you posted looks great. Having not seen a photo from farther back, I’m assuming your tiles are 12x12”? And you did some great planning so there was no notch to cut….maybe just some off the top of that lower tile? While mine won’t be color matching (brushed stainless look)….it will make me happier than raw edge.

I had sort of talked myself into raw edge because it is in a detached Guest Casita and I will rarely if ever use that shower. Even so, I will know it is there and you and Dan are both right……it will end up bugging me.

Jeff, out of curiosity, is that trim you used around your niche metal? Color coated or matched to your tile? Or did you just get lucky and that’s a stock color metal trim?

Scott
Unread 06-02-2021, 05:57 PM   #133
Gozo

It’s a stock metal Schluter trim. They’ve got a pretty wide selection of colors. Just happened to be close enough.
Unread 06-02-2021, 09:13 PM   #134
Sclib

Decision made….Question on Fat Mud vs Thinset

So, I’ve decided to use the Schluter trim on the niche. But I’m going to turn it so the thin side faces out and the 3/8” thicker face is flat to top of inside ledge tile (I know….it’s confusing to me to when I try and explain it…..photos help). Please pretend/envision trim running all the way around the niche.

My question is: can I just use thinset at 5/8” thick to bring up the bottom inside ledge tile? As opposed to CX suggestion of using fat mud. I only need 5/8” and not 3/4” because orienting the trim this way means bottom ledge tile does not need to come up as high to be flush with top of trim. I know tape measure seems to show 3/4” mud or thinset needed but, it is only 5/8”……bad angle on tape.

Second question is for CX. If I have to use Fat Mud, is it necessary to RedGard this new fat mud? Seems to me that it would not be necessary (just as RedGard on top of curb is not necessary). Water seeps thru curb fat mud and down to sloped pan liner into the shower pan. Wouldn’t same thing happen in niche? Water would seep thru new fat mud to existing RedGard on lower sloped niche ledge, and drain inward toward shower and down Redgarded face of shower wall.
RedGard over the new fat mud in niche seems like it would create that dreaded mold sandwich I read about over and over on this forum.

Thanks again for getting me thru what seems to be the hardest issue since I had to cut the corners on the pan liner.
Attached Images

Scott
Unread 06-03-2021, 09:34 AM   #135
Sclib

Mapei LFT thickness

Mfg specs indicate 3/4” (wide?) mortar thickness is ok. (3/8” high?). I understand specs do not show 3/4” high but can these numbers be flipped if mortar stays within these specs (ie…9/16 wide, 3/4” high).

This is without compressing mortar.

Can anyone speak to whether or not this works if I trowel on 3/4” high and compress with tile down to 5/8”. Will this give me a good bond for that small piece of ledge tile (with wall tile in front acting as a barrier/backstop/screed? Do I just do it and check tile for coverage?

Wanting to go forward this morning and cut and set wall tile so I have a solid backstop for 3/4” high thinset tomorrow or next day.
Attached Images

Scott

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase