Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-11-2021, 12:01 PM   #1
tombstone

Preparing for Kitchen Remodel - Question on proper prep for backsplash.

Hello everybody!

I'm in preparation to tackle a kitchen remodel in a few months and am pricing up and acquiring supplies. I am planning on completely rebuilding the one wall that currently has the backsplash on it - including new drywall. Is there any treatment that needs to be applied to the drywall to help facilitate in installation of tile? What type of thin set and grout would you recommend?

There will be another area that I'll be installing backsplash that is currently painted. Do I need to do any specific prep work on that area?

The tile I'm planning on installing can be found here here.

Thanks in advance for all the help! I'm want to do this right.

Jeff
tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-11-2021, 01:27 PM   #2
Gozo

You can install right over new drywall without any special prep. Maybe just moisten it up a bit with a damp sponge so it doesn’t suck too much out of your thinset. If the paint on the painted wall is we’ll adhered, it should be good as well. Maybe scuff it up a bit if it’s a glossy finish. A modified thinset would be good (spend the extra few bucks and get a bag of the good stuff, not the cheapo stuff).

For the tile you linked, use a light or white mortar as natural stone will show a bit of the thinset color through it.

My opinion here…think twice about natural marble for a kitchen backsplash. Marble is porous no matter how much sealer you put on it. Cooking and food prep splashing is what the backsplash is there for. You WILL get tomato sauce on it. And it’s a bear to try to get out.
Unread 05-11-2021, 03:45 PM   #3
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

That tile can have a tendency to fall apart as well as not be spaced well on the sheet.

Lay out the tiles on a flat surface, spacing them how you like. Use tape to hold the troublesome ones into position. Mosaic film may be a lifesaver.

You'll fare well by templating the area and transferring that template to tiles that have been laid / spaced to your liking.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2021, 11:28 PM   #4
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Remodler
That tile can have a tendency to fall apart as well as not be spaced well on the sheet.

Lay out the tiles on a flat surface, spacing them how you like. Use tape to hold the troublesome ones into position. Mosaic film may be a lifesaver.

You'll fare well by templating the area and transferring that template to tiles that have been laid / spaced to your liking.
Its like gluing an octopus to your wall. Have a bunch of spacers at the ready and put em where they are needed. You will be fine.

My FIRST Kerdi Shower Project

Always look in the LIBERRY
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase