Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-20-2019, 06:37 AM   #1
mfunk83

GoBoard Kerdi junction

Getting ready to do a shower remodel and leaning toward using GoBoard for the walls and a Kerdi shower tray. What are your thoughts on that junction between the bottom of the GoBoard and the Kerdi tray? Would it be best to do the sealant only, kerdi band with thinset, or even a combination of the two?
Could I use sealant in the seam then kerdi band over that? I thought I read somewhere the GoBoard could wick moisture when using kerdi band so looking for advise. Thanx.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:43 AM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Martin.

You can, of course, install that material in any manner you feel comfortable with, but if you mix materials and methods you're always on your own for guaranteeing success.

I've never seen or touched a piece of that GoBoard, but looking at their technical specifications it appears the surface is waterproof, but the interior is a wood fiber-type material. And according to their online material it meets the standards of ANSI A118.10 and should, therefore, accept a bond with thinset mortar. I would interpret that to mean you could bond to it with a material such as Kerdi or Durock membrane using thinset mortar, but none of their instructions indicate the use of anything other than their proprietary pookey for joints and fastener penetrations.

To install correctly in your intended application you'd need to first have covered your Kerdi foam tray with Kerdi and then install your GoBoard on top of that with a thick bead of their sealant. Could you use a band of Kerdi instead? Up to you.

I'd recommend you pick a waterproofing system and use it as intended rather than trying to mix in this GoBoard, but that's entirely up to you.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:33 PM   #3
mfunk83

Thanks for the info. So any harm in putting sealant in the seam then still doing the band with thinset over? Or band with thinset then waterproofing over edges of the seams? I like the idea of having double coverage if it would work together.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:30 PM   #4
Kman

Filling the seam isn't really going to help much, if at all. You could have some minor movements that would pull the sealant apart from either surface, rendering it useless.

This would be completely unsanctioned by the manufacturers of either product, but here's what I would do if I found myself in your situation and didn't want to backtrack.

I'd run Kerdi across the entire tray and up the walls 2-3". Then I'd hit the seam on the wall with Kerdi-fix to seal it off. I haven't worked with GoBoard and can't tell you that Kerdi would definitely seal it off, but between the band up the walls and the Kerdi-fix, that might be your best shot.

Then I'd let it dry for a couple of days and flood test it, since you're definitely in uncharted waters. Better to find out now whether it'll work, than after you've put tile up.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:04 PM   #5
073Manager

When installing your Go-board make sure you pay close attention to the handling instructions. You must where a respirator, long sleeves and gloves just to transport it. keep that in mind when cutting it as well
Old 02-21-2019, 04:23 PM   #6
mfunk83

Thanks for the info. I'm still looking at all the other waterproofing options as well. Really would like to do Wedi but their bases are so expensive, the wallboards seem comparable to Kerdi. I understand mixing components is not advised, but could a guy do wedi walls and a kerdi or durock foam pan, and if so, would sealant or waterproof bands be the best to join the two? The wedi base would run almost $700 and just can't justify that amount.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:12 PM   #7
cx
Da Home Builder

Martin, there is still nothing out there that is as good as a properly sloped shower floor made with deck mud to perfectly fit your shower footprint and drain location.

It's also the least expensive method of creating such a floor.

And you can still do the walls in any manner suitable to the application.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #8
mfunk83

Mud pan or walls first

Due to an uneven floor I think I will do a single mud pan with waterproofing over the top and probably Kerdi Board or other foam board for the walls. Most of the videos I looked at had the walls up first then poured the pan but wouldn't be better to do the pan first then the walls? Seems that would create less chance to leak having the wall overlap the pan or does it really matter?
Old 03-03-2019, 04:38 PM   #9
cx
Da Home Builder

Martin, it'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

If you're planning to use a direct bonded waterproofing membrane as your waterproofing method you can do it either way, but I'd recommend installing your walls first and your sloped shower mud bed after. Indeed, in such installations I don't even install the drain until the walls have been tiled with the exception of the bottom row.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase