Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-19-2019, 04:57 PM   #1
Trespaasingby

Asbestos cutback removal or skimcoat?

Hello I am a DIY'er and have come across some old tar and screed subflooring in my laundry room to be. I just found out my wife is pregnant so I am being extra cautious before I disturb this potential asbestos containing adhesive.

I've attached a picture and I'll try my best to explain what it is I am having a problem with.

So in order to have this formal dining turned into a laundry room I am going to need the plumber to break through the concrete subfloor. The room is sunken so I plan on removing the mastic only in the areas that the plumber will need access to and skim coating the rest of the mastic with a sealer. Furthermore the room will be tiled and so I plan on laying down some plywood and cementious backer board on top of the skids after sealing the mastic.

Also what is the safest way to remove asbestos containing mastic? I've scraped a sample off (after wetting it down with water and detergent) of the concrete with a putty knife which came off fairly easily.

Do I have the right concept here? Please kindly advise and I thank you for any input!

Name:  IMG_4291.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  101.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4290.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  72.5 KB
Old 02-19-2019, 06:23 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

If you're laying plywood over the joists, why would you need to remove the black stuff? Maybe I'm missing something here..........

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:27 PM   #3
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Alexander.

While that method of installing nail-down wood flooring over concrete SOG was very common in my area, I would not recommend it as a method for ceramic tile installation.

I think your best bet is to remove everything on tops of that concrete, do your plumbing repairs, then use a reinforced mud bed to raise the floor to the desired level for your tile installation.

The black material in my part of the country would be roofing tar and may or may not contain asbestos. If you'll add a geographic location to your User Profile someone in that area may be better able to identify what you likely have. Or you could have a sample tested if it will make you more comfortable. Whatever it is, if you just keep it wet and scrape it off, chances of raising any asbestos-containing, or other kinds of dust will be minimal to non-existent. You won't need the concrete perfectly clean with a cleavage membrane and reinforced mud bed over it.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:45 PM   #4
Trespaasingby

Thanks so much for the input I took your advice and lifted everything. Any suggestions on how to fill this sunken area?

Lifting up everything was quite a pain but finally got it done

Could you briefly outline what the process and if possible products Id be using to prep for porcelain tile?

TIA
Old 02-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #5
cx
Da Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX, Post 3
...then use a reinforced mud bed to raise the floor to the desired level for your tile installation.
That's still my recommendation.

Nothing more than sand and Portland cement mixed 5:1. You can get an idea of what it looks like by going to the Shower Construction thread in our Liberry and finding the thread about Deck Mud. You'll need to first lay down a cleavage membrane, usually polyethylene sheeting or roofing felt, and then your deck mud with welded wire reinforcing mesh in the vertical center. You need no other preparation for a ceramic tile installation over that.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase