Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #196
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

As you change over to the next wall, keep a close eye on the joints lining up in the corners. I'm sure you've found that once you get a straight, level row, the next row will stack much easier and faster.

No need to cuss. Take the time needed to do it right and you'll be glad in the end.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:43 PM   #197
Radas
Tile Newbie

You're right Davy, I actually have a problem with the lines on the corner. Since there is Kerdi build up on the lower corners, that lower 45 angle on the main wall is slightly off. Any tips for correcting that seam when continuing on the new wall? Can I slightly angle my beveled cut to keep the seam from being offset?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

..a new excuse to hoard tools!
Radas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #198
Radas
Tile Newbie

Took a break for a little while and focused on spending time with Mrs. Ali and other hobbies. I did make all the tedious floor perimeter cuts, schluter profile cuts, and angled corner cuts during my downtime.

Got another 1/2 wall done tonight along with schluter trim and will knock out the other 1/2 wall next weekend before my ledger boards go up.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:20 PM   #199
smifwal

Looking good 👍
Old 04-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #200
Radas
Tile Newbie

Thanks Shawn.

More progress, got the 1/2 wall and the outer edge done up to my initial line. Kicking myself for placing the rondec before installing the tile, there are a few areas where the tile is proud of the rondec by 1/16"-1/8" but I'll have to live with it now.

Going to tile the outer edge of the shower under the curb, wrap around to the wall facing the toilet and continue the pattern up to my line. Once that's done, I'll screw ledger board up and get the top 1/2 done.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:45 AM   #201
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Looking good Ali. How much fun was it cutting the slope into the tiles on the bench top?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #202
Radas
Tile Newbie

Thanks Dan. I lucked out with the bench top, aligned the bottom row of tile with the edge of the bench +1/16" so the tiles above didn't need to be cut at an angle. The corners and floor to curb transition are another story. Lot of cussing and broken tiles getting those compound miters and notches cut.

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #203
Radas
Tile Newbie

Been a busy few weeks with starting a new job, going on vacation, and making sure the lawn/landscape are in good shape. Finally got a chance to work on the shower again this weekend. All that's left now is tiling the outer half wall, niche, outer curb, and glass 4x12 'mosaic'.

I plan on building up the gap for glass using 1-2 layers of leftover kerdi fabric, that should be easier than screening 1/16" of medium bed mortar across the area. Thoughts?

Granite shop is cutting me a new shelf because the one that is mocked up is about 1/8" shy of fitting in the niche properly. I had a hell of a time with the schluter rondec but thanks to hot glue, I am able to make some final adjustments before the niche gets tiled.

I also silicone caulked the lower 1/2 of the shower, curb, and seams. I read after the fact that I shouldn't have done that. I guess we'll see how everything goes when the spectralock goes up. I plan on wiping down the areas that were caulked using mineral spirits before grouting.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM   #204
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Very nice...very professional. I like that you used the cut "drops" from the back wall to wrap them to the side walls....

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM   #205
Radas
Tile Newbie

Thanks Laz, I'm guessing you're talking about the bench area and side wall?

If so, It was a challenge trying to plan a layout around that diagonal bench. I think I cut and wasted 4-5 tiles trying to get it right before I decided to incorporate the layout into the end cap.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM   #206
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Yes, Ali.... that as well as the general back wall and side wall design continuation....

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:02 AM   #207
Radas
Tile Newbie

Appreciate the compliments Laz! I'm glad I chose the running bond layout and despite Mrs. Ali's doubts about the LFT when I started, she's become a fan as well.

A few questions:

1. will spectralock white grout yellow if facing a window?
2. is spectralock white grout a bright white similar to the silicone caulk I've used, or will it have a slight yellow tone to it similar to the LFT on the walls?
3. has anyone used spectralock over glass tile? I know they don't recommend it, but I'd prefer to grout the entire shower in one go instead of messing around with different grouts and different stages.
4. Any pros in Michigan who have experience with local glass shops for shower doors and walls? I'm reaching the point in the project where measurements can be taken.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase