Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-05-2004, 09:33 PM   #1
lambo203

Transitions

Hi there. I need some advice on tiling to the entrance of another room. The other room will have hardwood and the tiles will meet to that entrance. The doorway's entrance is seven inches wide. Should I tile up to the middle of the entrance and meet the hardwood in the middle, or, should I tile to the entrance and place a seven-inch transition piece (marble/granite) in between the tile and the hardwood? P.S. The hardwood is not in yet -- that's my next project. What is the rule of thumb when two floors meet?
lambo203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-05-2004, 09:50 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Personal opinion, if the height of the floors are the same, just an expansion joint between the two. If they are different heights, you have various options, a matching wood threshold is fairly easy to obtain. Schluter (see link above) has some transitions. Personally, I don't think I would like a third item i.e., a stone threshold between the two rooms. You could tile to one side or the other, or stop it in the middle, but probably one side or the other would look better; depends on which room you want to look bigger. Again, it's all personal opinion.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2004, 09:54 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Lambo. Give us a first name to use.

I mostly agree with Jim.

Is there a door in this doorway?

What direction will the wood flooring be laid relative to the opening?

Have you determined that your floor structure is suitable for tile?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2004, 10:04 PM   #4
lambo203

Thanks for replying to my questions. My name is Rob. There are no doors in the entrances to the other rooms. The wood floor will run parallel to the doorway, and the floor is suitable for tiling. The deflection rate is L/788. The tiles will be 1/4 inch higher than the wood floors. Thanks again for all your help.
lambo203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2004, 10:10 PM   #5
Rob Z

Hi Rob,

My vote would be to stop the tile on one side of the door jamb and the hard wood on the other side, with a beveled wood threshold in the doorway. (Good excuse to get a table saw and a jointer )
Unread 12-05-2004, 10:13 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

I agree with our friend, Zed.

But then I already got a couple table saws and the new jointer arrives next week.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase