Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-21-2008, 12:17 AM   #1
davynavy

knee walls and bench in corner shower 32X60

I have a small MBath I am rebuilding. I am building 32X60 shower, going Kerdi all the way, have a narrow combo niche and plan on building a pedestal shower bench from John's book that I just bought and saw in these forums.
We have a pretty unusual layout that I will try to post this week, but basically are looking at a "angled" or L shaped shower rod and two knee walls, one either side of doorway, one inline with the curb and one at 90 degrees with the bench along it. We may add glass down the road to the top of the knee walls so I am figuring I better make them pretty sturdy.
-I see bench heights are typically 18" or so
-what is the typical height of a knee wall?
we want to keep a somewhat open look but plan to line them up with a wainscot wall to go above the pedestal sink, so looking approx 4' tall.
-If I double up framing on ends would this be sturdy enough for knee walls or do people also use things such as I was considering decking brakets to the floor in addition doubled, connected well to wall. thanks all Dave from Oregon
Attached Images

Last edited by davynavy; 07-24-2008 at 08:47 AM.
davynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-21-2008, 04:46 AM   #2
bbcamp

Dave, knee walls can be any height you want. Since you have a bench, it should be higher than that. 4 feet tall is OK, too. Either way, you want to do everything possible to stiffen the knee wall, since there is no corner to provide structural stability. If you can tie the framing directly into the joists, it will be stiffer than simply nailing it to the subfloor.

BTW, since you are doing a Kerdi shower, there is no need for a masonry bench. You can frame it in wood, cover the seat with plywood, then cover everything in sheetrock. It may also be tied into one of your knee walls to add stiffness.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase