Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #1
Nailgun

Naked Rapidset leveler

I'm going to use some Rapidset Concrete Leveler obtained at the big orange giant to flatten a low spot in the existing concrete on the side of my house to make a better surface under a shed I'm building.
The directions for this product state: "CONCRETE LEVELER may be used as a temporary work surface for foot traffic in 2 to 4 hours and rubber wheel traffic in 24 hours at 70°F (21°C). CONCRETE LEVELER is not designed to be a permanent finished floor surface. CONCRETE LEVELER may be used as
an underlayment in moisture control systems."

I was hoping to just pour the stuff out, let it harden for a few days, then build the shed on top. But this seems to suggest that I need to put something else over it first.

What sayeth the oracles of the John Bridge forum? I feel like they are just trying to say you shouldn't use this as a bare slab in situations where you're going to have regular foot traffic. Wouldn't it be OK in an area that is likely to get zero foot traffic? If I do need to put something over it, could I use some sort of paint or epoxy? Tile is right out as it would be an insult to porcelain everywhere to tile the surface under my shed.
Unread 11-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
It's going to be under the shed, but not the shed floor?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2020, 12:25 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If it requires a primer per the instructions, ensure you use that.

The stuff is not designed as a wear surface...it is designed to be covered with one, whether that's a glue down or floating wood, sheet product, or tile and maybe carpeting.

Also, keep in mind that the stuff doesn't actually self-level without some help.

I haven't looked at a concrete topper to learn how deep that can get. If that can get deep enough to help level your slab, that is designed as a finished surface.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
Nailgun

Right. This shed is sitting up on posts slightly off the ground.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase