Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-28-2018, 06:48 PM   #1
cliftonite

New home tile problems

We are building a new house (around 900k after options) and feel that the tile in our bathroom does not meet expectations for a house in this price range (or any).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tVumSC42k5Qg4QAp7

When I brought it up to the builder, they have stated that the homes with this square footage (3650 sqft) do not have even walls and the tile will come out crooked as a result. They state that in their larger construction homes (10k sq ft+) they use lvl studs that come out perfectly straight.

Would you guys accept this work? Am I being a perfectionist? To me it looks like they picked up someone on the street to lay this tile but they keep insisting it is fine. Can they remove the corners that are not cut properly and cut them straight?
Unread 08-28-2018, 07:44 PM   #2
rmckee84

Its not the worst I've seen but it isn't very good. Do you know how the walls were waterproofed? Any pics of the tile work in progress?
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2018, 08:19 PM   #3
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

So for $900k I get out of plumb walls and not in plane studs. But for $2mil everything will be perfect.

I have now heard it all.

If I'm spending $900k I'm damn sure going to know who's doing my tile work and everything else in that house better be perfect.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Like Ryan, I've seen worse in a 7 million dollar home. The eye for detail isn't there. And, the contrasting grout color makes it stand out. The installer should know that with a contrasting grout anything out of line will show up. Waterproofing is something we rarely see and it should be in every shower.

Crooked walls are in every house, doesn't matter the cost. The lumber they are getting doesn't help.

I don't think you're being too picky.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2018, 08:47 PM   #5
workhurts

The big tile is about what you get from a builder. The glass tile, especially the corner is absolutely unacceptable. I've seen horses with better aligned teeth.

It looks like you paid good money to upgrade that tile.

Crooked wall, things that aren't square are par for the course in new construction regardless of price point. It's not like they use different labor. I'll see if I have a picture of the drain on a $1M+ townhouse around here. Horrible. Anyway, your mostly paying for the location.

Summary. No way in hell I accept that glass tile mess. Up to you how much grief you want to give them about the rest. Maybe they'll comp you the upgrade cost or do it 'at cost'. They shouldn't profit from shoddy work.
Unread 08-28-2018, 09:05 PM   #6
cliftonite

We spent about 12k on upgrading tile. This was in a development where we can't choose who we hire.

They basically installed the tile over cement board. No redgard or anything other than the shower floor in the master. I was going to do it myself on the walls, however I was traveling for work that week.

Can I have someone redo the corners after closing? Can this be done properly while maintaining the integrity of the shower wall?
Unread 08-28-2018, 09:14 PM   #7
Lou_MA

Quote:
Can this be done properly while maintaining the integrity of the shower wall?
Yes, assuming the person doing the repairs has the necessary patience and skill. It's carefully removing the grout around the existing tiles, then removing the tiles, then removing enough of the thinset (without compromising the substrate prep) so replacement tiles can be set at the proper depth, then setting and grouting the replacement tiles. All without chipping adjacent tiles that you want to keep.

More importantly, it's assuming that the shower was properly constructed in the first place.
Unread 08-28-2018, 09:17 PM   #8
rmckee84

The only way to redo the corners would be to tear out the tiles that are bad and then replace. The problem with that is you run the risk of damaging other tiles and obviously whatever is behind the tile. I would inquire about how the walls were prepped. Find out if there is a moisture barrier behind the cement board. You should be able to take the shower trim ring off the mixer and look I the wall to see. What I'm getting at is if they built your shower and surrounds improperly you may be able to figure a way to have them redone on their dime.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2018, 09:23 PM   #9
edc901

Sorry to see that. I would not find that acceptable at all.
Unread 08-29-2018, 08:08 AM   #10
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I wouldn't go to closing until that mess was fixed.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #11
cliftonite

Here are some pictures during the tile install:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BikTzsK82m1VhcTr9
Unread 08-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #12
cliftonite

Are there spacers that are used specifically for mosaic like this? I am thinking about buying them and giving it to the laborers so we don't end up with the same hideous outcome.

Instead of the smaller glass listello, can I get something that is larger but still fit in that space? This way I dont have to worry about them evenly spacing out a ton of small pieces?
Unread 08-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #13
workhurts

Think you can pretty much get anything you want to fill the space. Some sizes will work better than others depending on the height you have there and layout. Whether or not your builder has access to an infinite range of tiles out there or a set number of pre-selected options is a different matter.

How'd the waterproof the bench? or anything else for that matter. Can't really tell from the pictures.
Unread 08-29-2018, 02:43 PM   #14
Autoplay
Tile Setter

Along with the seat,I would be very concerned with the waterproofing,or lack there-of...the seat,and the top of the curb,which appears to have cement board on the top,attached/screwed through the vinyl liner.

Unreal the amount of botched jobs out there in today’s world!
Unread 08-29-2018, 02:45 PM   #15
Autoplay
Tile Setter

And if this is over a living space,enjoy the potential drizzle rain from the ceiling,down the road.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase