Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-18-2018, 03:47 PM   #1
D!NGO

Derek's Travertine Project

I have a question for Dan at Mapei, or anyone who can share their technique is welcomed:

Can I use a grout bag to apply the Fexcolor into the grout lines and use a 1/2" brick jointer to press the grout into the gap?

Then I'll just use a damp sponge to lightly go over the pressed joints to smooth it out. And if any gets on the surface of the tile I'll just wipe it off right away. I'm thinking this way I don't have to worry about dealing with the haze if it comes to that. My main objective is to avoid getting the grout on the surface of the tiles.

The reason why I wanted to do this is I have about 2000 sq ft of honed and chiseled edge travertine. I've read that this stuff will stick like a magnet to natural stone so I wanted to avoid dealing with the haze as much as I can. The tiles are in Versailles pattern so the gaps are 1/32 to 3/16". I know the smallest gap for this grout is 1/16" but with the chiseled edge, the eventual width would be around 1/4" coverage at the top of the grout. I know this is gonna take a long time but this is my own project and I'm working alone and only on weekends so I'm in no hurry. Any foreseeable issues with doing this way?

Thanks.
Unread 08-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Derek, go ahead and try a small area with the grout bag. A closet or bath floor should be enough to tell you how it will work.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2018, 08:10 AM   #3
nelsonkoehn
showers & more

Mapei Flexcolor CQ

What is the purpose of using FlexColor on a tile like travertine?

FlexColor sticking to the flat part of travertine is one issue. An entirely different one if you don't want it to stick in the chiseled edges.

To me the advantages of FlexColor are lost when used on a natural stone.

I recommend using UltraColor instead.

tile.nkoehn.com
nelsonkoehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Derek said "the eventual width would be around 1/4" coverage at the top of the grout".

I assumed he wants the chiseled edge to be filled in. I could be wrong. Actually, I don't think a grout bag and brick jointer is going to work very well if you're trying the avoid sponging.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 08-19-2018, 03:40 PM   #5
D!NGO

Davey and Nelson,

I wanted the grout to go up halfway up the chiseled edge so the top of the grout would be around 1/4". My only concern doing with this technique is I'm afraid the grout would not be push into the gap as much using the masonry jointer. I haven't buy the grout yet so I don't know how soft or "flowability" it has.

I didn't want to use cement grout because I didn't want to deal with mixing and the potential of not getting a consistent color because I'll be doing this in many stages and many weekends. I also like that I can stop any time with flexcolor too. With cement I have no choice.

Do you think the jointer has enough pressure to push the grout into the gap or it doesn't really matter because half of the chiseled edge is covered? Or should I use my finger instead, like smoothing out silicone? I know my fingers will not be happy afterwards.

Thanks guys.
Unread 08-19-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I look at it just the opposite. With it pre-mixed, you don't have a choice. It is what it is. With bagged grout, you can mix each batch on the thick side if you need to.

With the bag, I don't think you'll be able to control the grout depth in the joint as easily as you think. It'll be hard not to smear it up onto the edges of the tiles. I've found it's not easy to use a grout bag on narrow joints. 1/2 inch joints, yes. 1/4 and smaller, not so much. I think you'll end up ditching the bag.

Also, you won't want to spread it with your finger. No matter which grout you use, I would use a grout float and experiment with how long you need to leave the grout in the joint before you start washing. I think it'll be easier to fill the joint and then wash it down to the desired depth. Start with only a few sq ft at a time until you get the hang of it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 08-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #7
D!NGO

Hey Davey,

Thank you, Sir. After much thought I think I might have to do like you said...the old fashion way with the float and clean after a few square feet. I was imagining how to tackle the bag and jointer or even a wooden dowel but I can see how tedious it's going to get. Not worth the trouble and besides I want to fill the gap as much as possible. But before I do this, I am going to seal the travertine a couple of times to ease the cleaning process. Time to go shopping again.
Unread 08-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #8
Joe-Tile

If you go with the ultra color from mapei mix small batches at a time. That stuff has great workability time is your actually working it. Let it sit in the bucket for a minute to long and poof it's hard a rock. It's a great product just mix only enough that you can spread or you'll be doing more bucket cleaning then floor cleaning lol.
Joe-Tile is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase