Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 03-28-2019, 01:00 PM   #421
IrishSwede

Thanks for the feedback, but do you think it will hold as is? I am a little bit of a perfectionist, but I do not want to create a bigger project. I tried removing sealer from the one in the kitchen, a few years ago, and it ended up becoming a complete redo...seems the sealer stripper affected the grout...so if it looks solid (just looks like 2 different people did the work) will it hold?

BellaBella - this is VERY similar to FusionPro. I have used both Custom and Mapei, but I have to say when it comes to acrylic grout I always choose Flexcolor. The end result seems more even to me (texture), the color very consistent and the clean-up of any residual haze is MUCH easier with Flexcolor. The only complaint, which is minor, is it has watery consistency that makes working with it a little more difficult (it is extremely slippery to get on the float and on the wall), just make sure to pack the joints, work small and do not over-wipe. It is the more superior product IMO, but oddly I find the haze is better cleaned with Custom's "NON-Cement Haze Remover" - emphasis on the "Non" part

...writing that made me wish I did it myself, I miss using it...

Last edited by IrishSwede; 03-28-2019 at 01:06 PM.
IrishSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2019, 06:25 PM   #422
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Jeff, I would advise the same thing as Paul, call Mapei and get their opinion. This is the first time I've heard of anyone sealing Flexcolor grout.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2019, 12:40 PM   #423
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

If you use a sealer make sure that you use one that's water-based not solvent-based. This is in Flexcolor CQ's instructions. (and Fusion's too).

Tired of bullnose tile trim? Here are 5 edge trim alternatives ~DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2019, 09:00 AM   #424
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSwede
Thanks for the feedback, but do you think it will hold as is? I am a little bit of a perfectionist, but I do not want to create a bigger project. I tried removing sealer from the one in the kitchen, a few years ago, and it ended up becoming a complete redo...seems the sealer stripper affected the grout...so if it looks solid (just looks like 2 different people did the work) will it hold?
The beauty of Flexcolor CQ is that since it's premixed, you can pull a small amount from the bucket and try it in one area to see if it will work. If the test dries out fine, and the two layers seem solidly bonded; you should be in good shape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabella
Is this similar to QuartzLock is how it looks and handles? Or is similar to Fusion?
Jeff is spot on with this, we use acrylic technology in Flexcolor CQ, so it will be more similar to Fusion Pro than Quartzlock.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2020, 06:37 PM   #425
kevreh

Used flexcolor for the first time today. Seemed a lot easier to cleanup, used the included sponge and a microfiber towel for a light wipe. Working in 3’x3’ areas helped me stay ahead of the drying.

One odd thing, the sponge creates a lot of foam when rinsing it out. Smells a little chemically. Makes me wonder if mapei adds some kind of chemical, maybe to help with cleaning. ? Or maybe the foam is due to the sponge having small pores.

Either way glad I tried the grout, look forward to it’s stain resistance. Having a pre mixed bucket is very handy and easy to use.
Unread 11-20-2020, 06:39 PM   #426
TheMaxwellInn

Yeah there's definitely something in the sponge. We used FC recently on a couple backslashes. It's great stuff.

Last edited by cx; 11-20-2020 at 06:55 PM.
TheMaxwellInn is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase