Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-24-2020, 05:03 PM   #16
smifwal

40 psi max.
Unread 11-24-2020, 08:53 PM   #17
SME1225

Well this is a nightmare. I did the flood test (8 hrs only because I didn’t want it in the drain while I slept) and this is what I found when I lifted the pan liner. And all of that water amounted to just over 1/8 of an inch loss of water level. I was happy with the results of the test until I saw below the liner!

So now I have to approach the worker. Can I let it dry out and just replace the pan liner (properly this time)? Any further advice for me?
Attached Images

Unread 11-26-2020, 08:50 AM   #18
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Bummer, Shannon.

But yes, remove the liner and let the mud bed dry out completely. If you're careful with removing the liner, especially at the drain connection, you might be able to determine what the issue was.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2020, 08:53 AM   #19
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

For the plug, I use an emergency car tire inflator. I think the max pressure is 40psi, which someone already stated. However, when you pull the pump off of the inflation tube you lose some air. A lot of times, too much air.

So this is a long way of saying that I usually inflate it up to about 47lb and then pull the pump off. Additionally, I always pull up on the hose to make sure the plug is snug in the pipe.

Next issue: water under the liner.

I'm not sure where we're at with this anymore. Did they replace the liner after the silicone incident? Have they made any cuts with the liner that aren't the drain hole and the 4 bolts around it (such as the curb or corners)?

What you might do is replug it and add water to just barely cover the drain and then see if that holds. If it does, then we've ruled one culprit out.

Tired of bullnose tile trim? Here are 5 edge trim alternatives ~DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2020, 03:38 PM   #20
SME1225

Penny tile layout

Hello. I had this mosaic penny tile laid today...thinset is done but it has not yet been grouted. Is it possible to make changes now? For some reason the mosaic sheet in the far right back of the shower has a lot of dark tiles and the one just in front of that has no dark tiles. Can they pop out some tiles and exchange them for new ones tomorrow or totally rip those sheets up and set new ones without any issues? Or is it too late to make changes?

Last edited by SME1225; 12-08-2020 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Add picture
SME1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #21
SME1225

Photo
Attached Images

Unread 12-08-2020, 03:47 PM   #22
cx
Moderator emeritus

They should be able to remove some of those tiles from your mud bed, but the sooner the better.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2020, 08:43 AM   #23
Ronman
Registered LUser

Curious if they got those drain and liner issues fixed up, Shannon?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase