Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-14-2019, 07:34 PM   #1
DoRight

Recommendation for Grouts

I have several rooms to tile and am looking for assistance to figure out how to chose the "right" grout.

I guess I will take this one at a time. I would like to start my tile projects with a tiled floor and standard tub surround. The tile will be 12 x 24 with a textured (rock like surface). Grout lines will be narrow (recommendation?) prefer less than the old school 1/4 Inch.

So, sanded or unsanded (assume 1/8 inch or 3/16 grout)?

Seal it after using cementaous grout? or use a sealing additive?

epoxy grouts scare me, or should they?

Please start the discussion.

thank you
Unread 01-14-2019, 08:23 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Bob, you'll do better getting answers if our folks know more specifically what you're working on. This the same bathroom with the drop-in tub, perhaps?

For general discussions on various grouts, of which there are many dozens at least, you can type grout into the Advanced Search feature and ask for Titles, limiting your search to the Professionals' Hangout. From the list of the first 500 threads you might wanna select those with the greatest number of posts.

If you have specific grouts in mind, you can also type those names into the same Advanced Search and probably find lots of discussion.

As for the grout additives, I'd personally recommend you never mix anything with a cementitious grout that is not specifically recommended by the grout manufacturer.

I'd also recommend you use a sanded grout unless you simply cannot force the grout into your joints or you have tested and found that sanded grouts would mar the surface of your tiles.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #3
DoRight

Thanks CX

Thanks for the general information.

I had read about a particular grout that mentioned adding Aqua Mix Enrich 'N seal. So yes makes sense to follow instructions.

Was not sure if sanded grouts were used in 1/8 inch gaps.

As for which bathroom I am discussing, this is probably hard for people to understand, but I am building, on my own, a 3 1/2 bath house. this project is on a part time basis and is out of town. It is now winter and each time I visit the site I have to wait to heat it up. and I have a real job. So some projects take months. And therefore some of my questions here are for planning purposes. Yes it is true I was asking about a raised tub installation. At that time I was trying to figure out how to gain access to the plumbing in the tub. I think I have a plan.

I was thinking my grout questions would apply to all of my applications, and the full bath is where I intend to start tiling. And has the fewest complexities. Should be pretty basic as compared to a pebbled shower floor etc.

And to top it off, I have had help on a few days. Help painting that is, and that takes me away from starting my tiling.

Ok. ...... I tried the search tool with no luck, thus the new thread. I will try the advanced search as you suggest.

Thanks
Unread 01-15-2019, 02:22 PM   #4
maddfrog

Epoxy grouts scare me too and cement-based seem to stain too easily without sealing (which I never keep up with) or additives. After doing a bunch of reading on this site, I ended up using Flexcolor CQ, which seems to hit the sweet spot for me between ease of use and stain resistance. I haven't used the shower yet, so time will tell if it was the right choice, but I found many more positive than negative reviews.
Unread 01-15-2019, 04:11 PM   #5
feh

I am a huge fan of Laticrete's Permacolor select, which is a high performance cementitious grout. It has a sealer built in. We have not had any problems with it and it is super easy to use.

Epoxy grouts aren't that bad, to be honest, though you really need someone to squeeze sponges for you or it will be extra time consuming! We've used Custom's Fusion Pro--you can only spread grout in very small areas at a time before needing to wipe it and that can be stressful.
Laticrete's Spectralock ProPremium isn't bad at all, though around here it is hard to get some of the colors since it isn't stocked
And we have used Bostik's Quartz lock or maybe it was the True color? which are actually urethane grouts. Super easy to use but if not wiped properly the sand will stick to the tile probably forever haha

Biggest thing is to *read the directions fully* for whatever you pick, and have everything you need before you start (all your buckets filled and sponges at the ready). And don't bite off more than you can chew! (I learned this the hard way )
Unread 01-15-2019, 04:41 PM   #6
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Two of my recent favorite grouts are: Mapai's "Flexcolor CQ" Expensive and you can only do small sections before cleaning....but it holds the colour quite well, is antimicrobial and is premixed. You can touch up any areas later as it bonds to itself. Also, it is "pre sealed."

The other is from Home Depot. "Prism" needs to be mixed, but I have had great results with it......

“I came, I saw, she conquered."
The original Latin seems to have been garbled.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2019, 06:09 PM   #7
Sharps 74

I used Bostick Quartz Lock urethane grout several years in two full bath renovations, and it has performed flawlessly. After using this type of grout, the cement based grouts seem somewhat “old school”.

That being said, the learning curve is predicated on doing small areas, wiping quickly and thoroughly, and allowing ample time to cure.
Unread 01-15-2019, 07:28 PM   #8
JoeBoxer
Slow Poke

Strong believer and user of epoxy grout. I use it for my bathroom, walls, floors, everywhere I can. I just want to do it once and never care again. I even forced myself to use it on my fireplace hearth (even against better judgement with melting point concern).

House is 27 y/o, and the cement grout in the main foyer are giving, so I have to replace it. I am considering scruffing a 1/8" top off and apply epoxy grout as a top coat. Its a large area, but I picked up a large cache of epoxy groute for cheap.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2019, 03:33 PM   #9
BelkTile

Epoxy is grout is good, but a little difficult to work with if never done before. Bostik Grout is nice, but same thing, need clean water when cleaning up. There are quite a bit of options for grout nowadays with additives and even perma color type grouts as well.

https://www.belktile.com
BelkTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2019, 10:59 PM   #10
makethatkerdistick

I am in Joe's camp and also a big believer in epoxy grout. I'm just a DIY and even though there is a learning curve (mostly in the prep work), I found the Spectralock epoxy grout easier to work with than cement grout. What helped me was mix up small batches and set a timer so I could track open time.
Unread 01-21-2019, 07:05 AM   #11
smifwal

No matter which grout you choose with those textured tiles you got, you are going to want wipe every direction careful to avoid the joints. If you don't, grout will get hung up on the highs and lows of the tile. Like anything else (grout, thinset ect.) it is a whole lot easier to clean it when it is wet. I like Flexcolor CQ myself, it is pricey but worth the money

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase