Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
myladyfae

Rebecca's subway tile questions

So I'm new here and starting a bath remodel of my own, so pardon me if I ask any ignorant questions

I've also been looking at subway tile, and trying to decide on what brand to purchase. I was wondering what people think of Eliane's subway tiles? A tile supplier here suggested them to me. They are pretty and attractively priced, but they seem very thin and I read conflicting posts here on their quality? The bath surround will be up against beadboard wainscotting too, so I'm concerned the effect will be uneven.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Hi Rebecca,
I'm not familiar with Elaine's. As a rule, there are self-spacing tiles and lug-less tiles. The self-spacing tiles have small ridges which create a grout joint when the tiles are placed tightly together. If you like a wider joint, you can still use spacers on self-spacing tiles. Lug-less tiles simply have straight edges and will always require some sort of spacer.
Subway tiles are most commonly 3"x6", but any rectangular tile can be used. I've installed 3"x6", 1"x2", 2"x4", 2"x8", 4"x8", 8"x10", 6"x12", 10"x20", and 12"x24".
Aside from that, it's simply a matter of what you like vs. what you can afford. Some tiles will have straight-sides and some will be irregular, as if cut by hand. Some glazes will be translucent, some will be matte and some will have a "crackle effect". The "crackle" glaze most often requires applying a sealer BEFORE the tiles are grouted, to prevent staining.
When setting "subway tile", you can choose to off-set the courses by one-half of a tile, by one-third of a tile or by two-thirds of a tile (there's actually a difference in the layout and pattern). I haven't found much need to use any other fraction for the off-set but you are always free to experiment on your own.
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
myladyfae

so you don't think the thickness of the tile is that important? I looked at the Lowes AO subway tiles too, but I have concerns about the consistency of the color. well that and being able to find the right bullnoses!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
myladyfae

I wonder if i should have started a new thread...I kind of feel like I'm hijacking this one in my awkward attempt to express my concerns heh.

If the eliane tiles in the surround are only 1/8" thick, but my wainscot along the wall is more like 5/8" thick, how would I get both tile and wainscot to transition without looking awkward? The dal tile looks to be about 1/4" thick, so closer in thickness...just doesn't look as nice! heh.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
bbcamp

Here ya go, Rebecca, your very own thread. No need to feel like a hijacker any longer.

Wish I could answer your tile questions...
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
myladyfae

thanks bob

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase