Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-28-2017, 06:59 PM   #1
Sandy06230

T&G Sub-Floor Question

Hi,
I would like to tile my bathroom but not sure if it's advisable due to the joist span and sub-flooring. The bathroom was added on in the 1950's (2x6 joists, 16 OC...I believe it's douglas fir but not certain). The sub-floor is tongue & groove (installed perpendicular to the joists) and in some places it looks like the gaps between boards extend beyond the groove so that it looks like regular plank flooring. The bathroom dimensions are 11'6" x 9'6" and the porcelain tile I'd like to use is 18x18. Adding a support wall isn't an option since the boiler and water pump take up most of the room under the bathroom. My question is, if I add 3/4" plywood over the existing tongue & groove sub-floor, would that lessen the deflection to a point where I can tile?

Thanks,
Sandra
Old 07-28-2017, 09:16 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome back, Sandra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra
(2x6 joists, 16 OC...I believe it's douglas fir but not certain)
Can't even get started without we know the unsupported span of those joists.

Tile industry standards require a minimum of 1/2" plywood over your sawn board subfloor, but I think more is better when you don't have a T&G subfloor to start with.

Is a support beam an option?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:51 AM   #3
Sandy06230

The walls are supported by foundation on all four sides. The majority of the house is built over a dirt crawl space so under the bathroom is the only place for the boiler, water pump, water softener, plumbing...it's very congested so I would think the time and cost to put in a support beam or sister the joints may be cost prohibited. I'm just wondering if 3/4" plywood would stiffen the sub-floor it to a point where I wouldn't risk cracking the 18x18 tile or if I should seriously consider some other type of flooring (i.e. vinyl, wood) or use a smaller tile.

Last edited by Sandy06230; 07-29-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Sandy06230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:07 AM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

Nothing you install on top of your existing subfloor will improve the design deflection of your joist system.

And again, we don't know the unsupported span of your joists.

A different type of floor covering may be your only reasonable option, but we don't know that.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:24 AM   #5
Sandy06230

The unsupported span of the joists would be the dimension of the bathroom since I didn't measure in the basement but in the bathroom only. Hopefully I understood your question correctly.

Thanks,
Sandra
Old 07-29-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
Kman

The unsupported span is the distance that the joists run without any support from underneath. Unless there are supports under the bathroom walls at both ends, then that's not the unsupported span.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:24 AM   #7
Sandy06230

Thanks Kevin for clarifying. I measured from the basement to determine the unsupported joist span (2x6)...it's 9 feet.

Last edited by Sandy06230; 07-30-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Sandy06230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:53 AM   #8
Sandy06230

Rectified Tile in Shower

Hi,
We're planning another tile project in a bathroom (tub surround). We noticed that a Big Box store carries Anatolia polished porcelain tile (12x24 rectified) as a special order. I'd like to have very thin grout lines (1/16" or 1/8"). Does anyone have experience with Anatolia tile purchased from Big Box store? If yes, should I be concerned with the quality/variation of the tile especially since we want such thin grout lines?

Also, can we use epoxy grout when grout lines are so thin?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #9
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome back, Sandra.

Do tell if you tiled the bathroom floor with those inadequate joists and how it's holding up.

To evaluate those tiles (I'm not familiar with the Anatolia brand) the first thing you want to know is whether the manufacturer indicates they meet the ANSI A137.1 standards. Without that, the only thing you have to guide you is their advertising, which may or may not tell you accurately what to expect.

I would also caution you that there is a known problem with grout permanently staining polished porcelain tiles. I do not know if that problem extends to epoxy grouts, but I would want to know before deciding on my tile and grout.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #10
Sandy06230

No Tile in Bathroom

Thanks for reminding me...I did take your advice as I value and appreciate everyone's experience/knowledge on the forum. We decided to put hardwood flooring, quarter sawn oak, since it's more stable than plain sawn oak (less expansion & contraction) and put 3 coats of commercial grade sealer. It's a bathroom not used often....looks great.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase