Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 08-08-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
jboyle
Remodeler

Guns and the people who own them

Thought you guys might like to see some everyday, average Americans who exercise their right to own a gun. Click on the picture in the link.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20178856...eek/?GT1=10252
Unread 08-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
kate42
Just a friend

Jason

Very interesting. I didn't realize that many Americans owned guns. I am assuming these are legal guns. I've never owned a gun. At this stage of my life I probably never will.

"If there is light in the soul,
There will be beauty in the person.
If there is beauty in the person,
There will be harmony in the house.
If there is harmony in the house,
There will be order in the nation.
If there is order in the nation,
There will be peace in the world."
~Chinese Proverb
kate42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 06:36 AM   #3
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Jason........Were you making a Point?

Its nice to know so many Americans are Armed..........Should give Pause to a few of the unsavory element out there.

Be a Responsible Gun Owner.......OR..........Be a Victim!!!

Baseball bats & Tire Irons KILL same as a gun.
Guns dont kill people
People Kill People........guns are a tool, same as a screwdriver.
Almost any tool CAN be a weapon

Quit defending the criminal
In minnesota if someone breaks into my home I have to flee to the furthest point and let them take anything they want...I can not legally shoot them unless they pursue me and I feel a threat to my life or the lives of my loved ones.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!

YES, this is the law in this state.........If somebody breaks into my home and I shoot them to protect my home, my property and my family ;

I WILL GO TO JAIL!!!!

And you wonder why Crime is so rampant in this country.

Start hanging a few and watch how fast violent crime falls off!!!
Unread 08-09-2007, 08:20 AM   #4
Oldrem

Send a message via Yahoo to Oldrem
AMEN Todd ! At least here in Wisconsin I can shoot the intruder - as long as he dies INSIDE my home I'm legal.

When law abiding citizens are disarmed only criminals will have guns.

Lifetime DIYer, Cowboy Action shooter, Gun collector

http://www.computer-adventure.com
Oldrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 08:50 AM   #5
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
YES, this is the law in this state.........If somebody breaks into my home and I shoot them to protect my home, my property and my family ;

I WILL GO TO JAIL!!!!
Only if someone finds out about it.
Unread 08-09-2007, 09:02 AM   #6
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

That was anti-climactic for me too....As if it's surprising that a "wide range of Americans choose to bear arms" Honestly I was surprised by the fact that everyone doesn't have a gun. My whole life I've owned rifles , shotguns and handgunsand used them regularly. I think I have 15-20 guns at any given time at my house ..That's just par fore the course here...Everyone and I mean everyone I know has a shotgun by the door of their bedroom...And ya know what...we dont' lock our doors here...and I can't think of the last residential robbery that took place near me....

I grew up with a rifle in my hand shooting after school for fun in the woods. ..I can't even remember having to ever ask permission to grab my .22 and go plinkin' even at 12years old. We also never had accident ..I think in large part I was taught great reverence for what guns do.

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 09:35 AM   #7
Westie
Engineer -- Alberta

number of people that I know that own a gun : 0

number of people I know that have had a break in : 1 (no one home durring the day)

number of people I know that were mugged : 0

number of people that I know that were ever threated by someone with a gun or other weapon : 0

In a civillized society there is no need for guns
Westie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 12:06 PM   #8
Just Some Guy

If someone breaks into my house to take my VCR, I'm certainly not going to kill him lol - heck take the TV while you're at it - I'm insured :P (and if you don't take the TV, at least toss it into the pool so that I get a new one )

I used to work in audio/video, and we'd see insurance claimants whose homes were broken into, but I personally don't know anyone in my circle of friends who had a break-in - the break-ins we get here are normally during the day or when the homeowner is on vacation - I've never heard of a home-invasion or anything like that here - heck I leave the door unlocked half the time.

To me human life is worth more than my answering machine.
Just Some Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #9
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

All the same I 'll still be keeping my guns near the bed For the once in two lifetimes it may happen...I ain't willing to play the odds on my wife or kids.

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #10
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Kleck and Gertz Study

According to this fairly well respected study, guns are used defensively to stop crime over 2 million times a year in the United States.

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcdguse.html

Only a small fraction of these incidents are ever reported to the police, and a smaller fraction still is reported in the media.
Unread 08-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #11
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
WESTIE-
number of people I know that own a gun---100s (almost everyone)
number of people I know that have had break in --a couple
number of people I know that were mugged -1
number of people I know threatened--0
NUMBER OF PEOPLE I KNOW WITH A GUN ,WHO HAVE SHOT SOMEONE--0
Unread 08-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #12
CharlieM

I'm not sure what the point of the issue is. I own guns to hunt with, or plink with. They don't stay loaded in the house. Thankfully, I've never had to use one to defend myself or others against people, but would if I had to. I have a nice bow too. It's just as deadly and accurate as my pistol, but a little more bulky.

And as Todd said, I have the usual assortment of pocket knives, tire-irons, screw drivers, kitchen knives, silverware and any number of other gadgets that could be used to kill or hurt people if that was the agenda.

I grew up with guns and learned some responsibility. The surest way to remove personal responsibility is to put the social engineers in charge of the government so they can save the rest of us the trouble.
Unread 08-09-2007, 01:23 PM   #13
Eric Philson
Granite, Marble, tile, stone masonry

About 60% of the worlds small arms are owned by US citizens. I can't believe it's only 60%. Go figure.

Number of people I know who have been robbed, mugged or otherwise accosted....only a small handful.

Number of people I know who own guns....about 98%

Number of people who don't rob, mug, or otherwise accost other people because they might get shot....undeterminable.

Number of people I know who would rob, mug and accost others if they could get away with it.....dozens.

Philson stonework
Western PA

Stone veneer, tile, granite & marble
Eric Philson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 05:10 PM   #14
jboyle
Remodeler

Todd,

My point was that many different types of people own guns, and for many different reasons. I'm amazed that so many of my friends have no idea about laws, safety, or any of the positive aspects of gun ownership. They only know what they here on the news or read in the paper (90% negative).

I grew up with guns, and have been an NRA member for quite awhile. I love to hunt and shoot, and keep a gun in virtually every room of my house because you just never know.

In VA we have the same ridiculous law about retreating. It doesn't bother me because I figure if there is only ONE story who's to say you weren't running away.

As for letting someone leave with electronics or something petty from my house...can't do it. If you break into my house I'm sorry to say that you won't be leaving.

Here's my theory: It may be that you are only at my house THIS time to steal electronics, but what happens when I am not home. My wife might be home alone, and for whatever reason unable to defend herself. Another possibility is that the guy that I let go goes down the street and rapes and murders some little girl because she woke up while he was stealing her DVD player.

I realize that we can play the game of "what ifs" all day and just be running in circles, but in the end I feel like Trask. I'm just not willing to make that bet when it involves someone I love.

So there you have my two cents for what it's worth...I just like a spirited debate.
Unread 08-09-2007, 05:10 PM   #15
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
in florida you can no shoot someone if they try to enter your vechile. I own a large selection of firearms a little over 100 and keep 5 in the house everything else is locked up or broke down. I sleep with an AR 15 next to my bed and a shootgun by the front door. Trust me if I had to shoot someone they will be signal 86 and a toe tag placed on them and set by the road till the sherrif comes. everyone on my street loves me when my dogs bark in the middle of the nite I strap on the nite vision and grab a toy and go scout it out. I have caught about 6 or 8 burgalras in the middle of the nite. but todd is rite is not the gun that kills people its the one holding it. anything can be a serours weapon how it is used.
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase