Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #1
Cardinal11

Tile flooring issues with new home build!

Hello, I hope that I am posting this is the correct place.

We are having a new home built in a subdivision in Arizona. We are about a month and a half out from closing and our home builder is currently in the process of putting in our wood look tile flooring. We have a significant amount of tile covering roughly 2/3 of open floor space in a 2100 sqr ft house.

The tile contractor began installing the tile and got roughly 1/4 to 1/3 of the way done before being forced to pull it up and start over by one of our superintendents. They said there was an issue with the alignment. The thinset had be dry for at least a couple days before they pulled it up. They then proceeded to chip the thinset off the back and start over with the tile that had already been used. They finished the entire house with a mixture of the used and unused tiles. Is this common practice??? I know its ok to pull up individual tiles when issues arise and put them back down...but is it ok for a new homebuilder to do this with 400-500 sqr ft of expensive tile?

I dont have much experience in this area so I just want to be sure. Is this ok or should we fight the home builder/contractor to redo the job with all new tile? Is there a risk of future, structural issues originating from their installation practices?

Images attached of some of the re used tiles. Some were better than others.
Thanks
Attached Images

Unread 09-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Cardinal11. Please change that permanent signature line to a first name for us to use.

Nothing at all wrong with cleaning and re-using the tiles so long as the backs are cleaned enough to make them usable. I can't tell much from your photos, but they look pretty clean to me.

Let's see if some of the younger eyes find any fault with the cleaning job.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2016, 03:35 PM   #3
rmckee84

They look clean enough to use again. It looks like the thinset coverage on the back wasn't all that great. I'd be more curious about installation methods, like substrate the tile are set on and what thinset was used. Also, with an area so large are there any soft joints to account for movement?
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Josh, the bond is better when the backs of the tiles are skim coated with thinset using the flat side of the trowel along with the notch side of thinset on the floor. It takes an extra minute but really does help. It doesn't look like they did this the first time around.

I also have the same concerns as Ryan.

Also, were there any cracks in the concrete?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2016, 05:15 PM   #5
Cardinal11

Thank you for the reply's!
I don't know enough about it to answer any of the questions about their installation methods. Not to mention, since its a new home build, I'm only able to go out there and check up on it every few days.

There were definitely no cracks in the concrete.
Unread 09-29-2016, 05:17 PM   #6
Autoplay
Tile Setter

What does the contract state,as far as installation of tile,if any?

Ummmm....what's the timeframe of your warranty??
Unread 09-29-2016, 05:50 PM   #7
tatumjonj

I'd be way more concerned about the coverage than reusing those tiles. As long as they were cleaned up good enough to get the floor flat, nothing wrong with reusing them. Those look like they were cleaned up real nice.
Unread 09-29-2016, 05:58 PM   #8
Autoplay
Tile Setter

The corner bead baseboard.....is that finished,or some form of protection of the corner,till close to close?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase