Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
jbaskins16

Kerdi Board Curb Question

I just had a complete kerdi shower installed and it looks absolutely great. The curb of the shower was constructed using two 2" thick pieces of kerdi board. After the shower was completed and tiled, I had a semi-frameless glass enclosure installed. I instructed them to glue the bottom frame to the curb, which they did, but drilled 2 holes into the tile/kerdi board shower curb to insert anchors in order to mount the door bracket. I know this is not the preferred method but too late now.

I'm worried about water leaking through those 2 screw holes. The glass installer said that he put silicone in the holes when the anchors were put in, but I'm not sure I believe him because it doesn't look like it. Given that the kerdi board used was thick (each piece 2 inches thick), I know that the screws did not penetrate all the way though. From what I read, Kerdi Board is made from EPS foam which in theory shouldn't leak. No signs of leaks so far, but should I be concerned with this? I'm nervous because every thing I have read says not to screw into the curb.

Thanks
Unread 09-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

John, you're right. You shouldn't screw into a curb. Having said that...if you absolutely MUST, Kerdi Board is the stuff to screw into. Do you trust that he actually used silicone in the screw holes? If so, you are probably OK.

You might want some sort of written assurance from him that, if it leaks as a result of his actions, he will repair it.

“I came, I saw, she conquered."
The original Latin seems to have been garbled.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

The foam part of the lerdi board is the waterproof part. As long as they didn't drill all the way through the foam to the other side you should be fine. The screw, molly plug, and silicone should fill the hole and prevent any water buildup. I'd bet against it leaking.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase