Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-23-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
bzarna

Turning a jacuzzi tub into a tub/shower

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am in way over my head.

I have a 6' jacuzzi tub which has ceramic tile all around it and up the wall about 1 foot (there is currently no shower head- it's just a bath). I would like to keep the tub, rip up the tile, install a shower pipe that runs up the wall and across the ceiling to a shower head directly overhead (so the water will be falling straight down in the middle of the bathtub). I was planning then on replacing all drywall with greenboard and different ceramic tile.

The tub currently has about 8" of ceramic tile on all three sides of it (it sits about 8" away from the wall on all three sides). Assuming my plan works, water will be splashing on the new ceramic tile wall and then accumulating in this 8" space (because the lip of the tub is raised above the current -and future- ceramic tile).

What can I do to prevent this? will that standing water hurt anything? Should I just install an oval shower curtain that hangs from the ceiling? Should I build a drain in this 8" space somewhere so that whatever water ends up there will drain out? Should I build the wall out so that the new tile drains onto the lip of the tub? IF so, what happens if I ever have to replace the tub? I'm in way over my head.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian
bzarna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-23-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

The oval shower curtain isn't a bad option at all.

To get it tiled you would need to fir out the walls so that a piece of backer would come down onto the top of the tub deck. Your tub doesn't have a tile flange, so you need to accont for this. You will also need some waterproofing. Its not an ideal situation, but its doable with some work.

The standing water in the 8" gap would be terrible. Setting tile over greenboard for your new walls would not be good either.

Be nice to see a picture of your set up now.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Folks have talked about this before. It's a bad idea in my opinion, the tub isn't made for a shower head.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Brian.

I agree with Davy.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase