Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 05-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
Wayne67vert
Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to Wayne67vert Send a message via MSN to Wayne67vert Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne67vert
Steam shower bench advice..

I am new on this forum but have been building showers and bathrooms full time for 8 years.
I have a customer that wants a formed bench in the steam shower I will be building. He describes it like a church pew with slanted back and softened (front edge) bottom. He also wants the underside open for legroom from the opposite seat. The bench will be tiled with small mosiac onyx stone.
Does anyone have ideas how to make this bench?
Thanks in advance,
Wayne
Wayne67vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-27-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
kevjob
Licensed Remodeling GC

better bench is a floating bench made of stainless steel and filled with masons mix and then topped with tile or slab. We use these all the time in steam showers along with kerdi
Unread 05-28-2008, 06:00 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Wayne.

I would use metal framing (because it doesn't warp and twist), backer board, lath and mortar. After mud is floated I would waterproof with one of the liquid membranes. If it's a Kerdi shower I would waterproof with Kerdi of course.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
Wayne67vert
Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to Wayne67vert Send a message via MSN to Wayne67vert Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne67vert
John and Kevin, thanks for your replies. I am not sure how to get the curve of the seat using metal framing. I know I could get the shape using wood but I am concerned about making it totally waterproof. I use Denshield almost exclusively, so I'm not up to speed on lath and mud or Kerdi. I don't think I would have a problem doing the mud, I just have never done it.
The Kerdi shower looks interesting because of the pan being coated just below the tile and thinset.

Is there anyone in Orlando area that uses Kerdi? I would like to see it in person.
Wayne
Unread 05-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
CRB
Tile, stone and mosaic installer

Wayne - have you thought of Wedi board? Can be formed easily into curves etc, unaffected by water, heat etc. Couldn't be self supporting though - would need to build up from floor at least on 2 ends. No idea how far from a supplier youd be, I guess look up Wedi.com

Colin

Colin Barber Tiling Co.
In Christchurch New Zealand. From London UK

www.colin-barber.com
CRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Wayne,

You stated you didn't want anything beneath the bench. That's why I thought of metal.

You don't use Denshield in stand-up showers, do you? I was thinking it was only used in tub surrounds.
Unread 05-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome aboard, Wayne.

I, too think the Better Bench would be a good option for you. You'd need to do the radius front above the top of the bench, but I've extended them vertically before when we just wanted the front higher for the trim that was planned for it.

That little bit of mud work wouldn't be any challenge at all even for a fella who doesn't do mud work. We walk our DIY visitors through it for curbs and such alla time with good results.

Kevin: Alla Better Benches I've used have been made of aluminum rather than stainless steel.

Don't buy nothin' from Flatfloor.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

The "bench" type Better Bench gets a triangular brace (actually a small Better Bench corner seat) if it extends over a certain length. Don't know how long your bench has to be.
Unread 05-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #9
Wayne67vert
Tile Contractor

John,
The bench will be about 34 inches wide. It will require a short knee wall.

cx, do you mean to use the better bench as a base and then do the mud on top? That sounds like it's a good option. What about the seat back slanted to the wall? Mud also?

Yes, I use Denshield in stand up showers. Georgia Pacific has a limited lifetime warranty with this product. They will pay for the board, tile and labor to the origional owner. I asked the sales rep at Coverings about the warranty. He said they never had a claim. Denshield is impervious to moisture and doesn't require a vapor barrier. It is installed 1/8 inch or more above the mud bed. All seams are taped and coated with either mastic, thinset or liquid waterproofer. I use thinset because mastic takes forever to dry when setting large porcelain tiles. I have also seen mastic mold in the bucket.
Unread 05-28-2008, 07:13 PM   #10
kevjob
Licensed Remodeling GC

yeah I know cx, saw that today after i wrote it.

the adjustable bette bench i believe can go up to 36 inches before having the middle support
Unread 05-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #11
Dave Gobis
da Man!

Easy John.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 12:23 AM   #12
CRB
Tile, stone and mosaic installer

Re. the adhesive - you're quite right not to use anything but thinset with porcelain - or most other tiles or situations except very lightweight ones in dry areas. They are used more over here than the US does, and perhaps developed a degree more, but most quality fixers use mortar adhesives as standard.
Colin

Colin Barber Tiling Co.
In Christchurch New Zealand. From London UK

www.colin-barber.com
CRB is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase