Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 03-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Bamboo engineered wood floor

Okay wood guys, got a friend installing this, and i know it carbonizes, but is there anything else i don't know?It's going glued(with eurethane)over Proflex sound control, upstairs over a wood subfloor, and on diagonal,abutting existing cherry wood in hallway,base over it no quarter round.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
HotinOKC

Just make sure that subfloor is flat! Any movement of the planks is bad. Read the manu. instructions. Alot of these floors state you do not need to put a poly coat on them.

Support our Troops!
http://www.dav.org
HotinOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
Dan Kramer
Registered Tile/Stone User

Dave
I started a thread about 3 years ago regarding bamboo. Someone posted on it just the other day and reminded me it still existed. Maybe something from that thread will help.
http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18916
Unread 03-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Thanx, i recommended a friend for this job and just want to know what to look for.I need to read up on nail spacing i guess,but i think it will be glued due to mudwork to level floor.

Unread 03-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
dave why are they glueing it over wood subgfloor. i would nail it down ontop of roof felt or cork for sound . glue in my eyes is a bad idea over a wood sublfoor.
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 06:00 AM   #6
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

That's what i was wondering, but i've done some work in this house and it is a disaster, there isn't one level place or straight wall, so i think he'll have to patch the floor,and she wants the wood to be level with existing wood, so he'll have to use a thin membrane.I recommended him cause i'm busy but i was just wanting to be educated enough to supervise it.I'll check into nailing it.

Unread 03-16-2008, 06:54 AM   #7
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
bam can be stapled or nailed. if you are trying to match up to exisiting hieghts use luan as a wood shim. I would not recomend floating the floor. also the good thing about a wood subfloor you can sand out the highs. but if it were my job i would not GLUE to wood had a very bad failure on one. it was for the ceo of blue cross and blue shield had to eat about 800 feet of wood it bowed up like the golden gate bridge.
Unread 03-16-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Yeah, don't forget he's going over Proflex,i may insist on nailing,and sanding down the highs, it's okay to nail through vinyl leveler then?

Unread 03-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
opiethetileman

still if it was me I would do what i cal a spider web on the floor with string point to point from walls to wall. and find the highs and lows. if it has a few dips i would use thinset not leveler. or use luan in the lows. also sand out the highs if they arnt to bad.i amstarting a 5600 sq feet bamboo on monday and its all over a ood subloor going to nail the heck out of.
Unread 03-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
dbol

5600 ft., man that is one heck of a wood job. Post a pic of that one or is it like the whole house. I am starting 1200 ft of tile tommorrow and it seems like a big area.
Unread 03-16-2008, 08:50 PM   #11
opiethetileman

whole house and i am doing it one man band. the thing that sucks is i have to carry it up to the 2nd floor by hand.
Unread 03-17-2008, 12:12 AM   #12
stullis
Flooring Installer

Nailing or stapling through portland cement based leveler is usually a bad idea.
Unread 03-17-2008, 08:52 PM   #13
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Yeah,that's why i mentioned the vinyl,hopefully the floor won't be that bad, but i've done work in that house (a builder built it for himself)it's a disaster. I wouldn't care except the owner has given me a lot of work and i want it to come out all right and i don,t trust many installers any more.

Unread 03-17-2008, 10:06 PM   #14
stullis
Flooring Installer

Same issue with the vinyl cement if we are talking the same thing. Depends on the thickness but it can get to hard the staple won't penetrate it and will still most likely crack up if it does.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase